Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New ST 1 Mile After Purchase

Reactions
Vehicle
2024 ST 4WD
When I was driving my new ST 2024 home from the dealership I heard this continuous rattling sound while going over 32mph, along with what smelled like brake pad burn. I didn’t have time to take the car back as it was late in the day and I had to be at a dinner. I drove 15 miles on the highway to my destination and the sound wasn’t as actuate but there was a strong smell of burnt brake pad. After dinner I drove home 15 miles and haven’t heard the sound or smelled anything since. I also went on a 500 mile road trip the next day with no aforementioned issues.

is it safe to say that these are new brake pads are curing or do we think that something else is amiss? If I can no longer replicate the problem so I’m not sure what to tell a service tech and I’m on the fence about taking it in for service. Just curious as to what everyone’s thoughts are on this.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Welcome to the forum.

Weird noises and smells on a new car is not normal. Get it checked out.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Not saying this is your problem but when I brought mine home, I too, had a strong brake smell. As it turned out, there was a clear plastic shield/packaging completely covering one of the calipers, think thick/heavy blister packaging. I didn't drive far enough for it to melt it but I'm sure it would have had I not removed it.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Yea a brand new car and its smelling luke its gonna burst into flames and you didn't stop?? Kind of a bad move . It was a brake smell so u only had to look at 4 spots . A little smell for a short maybe but a strong smell im stopping.. How is it now ? Has it gone away for good and the brakes work fine ? Did it feel luke the brakes were holding the car back? I am wondering if the emergency brake was on and stayed on until the pads wore down enough so the snell stopped ... With it brand new Id take it back in to let them find what burnt down or off enough to stop the smell ...

OP
J
Reactions
Vehicle
2024 ST 4WD
Thread Starter #5
Not saying this is your problem but when I brought mine home, I too, had a strong brake smell. As it turned out, there was a clear plastic shield/packaging completely covering one of the calipers, think thick/heavy blister packaging. I didn't drive far enough for it to melt it but I'm sure it would have had I not removed it.
Good tip. I suspect that I had a similar issue. This one had just come in and the guys who prepped it probably forgot to remove it from one of the calipers, left front. My schedule is packed but I’ll get it in tomorrow.

OP
J
Reactions
Vehicle
2024 ST 4WD
Thread Starter #6
Yea a brand new car and its smelling luke its gonna burst into flames and you didn't stop?? Kind of a bad move . It was a brake smell so u only had to look at 4 spots . A little smell for a short maybe but a strong smell im stopping.. How is it now ? Has it gone away for good and the brakes work fine ? Did it feel luke the brakes were holding the car back? I am wondering if the emergency brake was on and stayed on until the pads wore down enough so the snell stopped ... With it brand new Id take it back in to let them find what burnt down or off enough to stop the smell ...
Let me clarify, the smell was noticed upon stopping and only noticeable near the left front tire. It was not noticed while driving. a flapping sound was heard while driving.. I didn’t mention anything about fear over the car bursting into flames as the event wasn’t that acute. Per my original post, at present there is no smell, no odd sound. I did several brake tests that were uneventful. The brakes didn’t feel like they were holding the car back, as I also tested to see if I had drag to see if one of the brakes was restricted, none were. Also, upon hearing the flapping sound the first thing I did was check to see if the emergency brake was on, it was off. It’s going back tomorrow however I can’t replicate the issue. …the other posters comment about finding transport plastic on one of his calipers is worth investigating, although not obvious at this point.

OP
J
Reactions
Vehicle
2024 ST 4WD
Thread Starter #7
GearHead_1, thanks for pointing this is out as this was exactly what the issue was. Service got the remainder of the transport plastic removed, looks great.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
You're welcome.