Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New recall?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
The dealer told me there's a VIN-specific recall for the exhaust. A flange for the driver's side CAT can develop a crack, allowing untreated exhaust into the atmosphere. No more details. I can't tell if mine is in the group. It involves replacing the CAT, several clamps and some gaskets.

Reactions
The dealer told me there's a VIN-specific recall for the exhaust. A flange for the driver's side CAT can develop a crack, allowing untreated exhaust into the atmosphere. No more details. I can't tell if mine is in the group. It involves replacing the CAT, several clamps and some gaskets.
I got a recall for this issue quite awhile ago.

OP
MikeHTally
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thread Starter #3
What's the recall #?

OP
MikeHTally
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thread Starter #5
No worries (I guess :D). The dealer didn't know about part availability, either. Jeez, Ford. How can it be cheaper to fix than to do right?

Reactions
It was for a left cat possible weld crack. It was not in the pile with the other two.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I thought they were just supposed to inspect it and if there's a crack, then replace it.

Reactions
I thought they were just supposed to inspect it and if there's a crack, then replace it.
Yep. Brought mine in because I suspected a leak. They ordered the left CAT and so far it’s been eight weeks and no CAT.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Yep. Brought mine in because I suspected a leak. They ordered the left CAT and so far it’s been eight weeks and no CAT.
Did you smell exhaust in the cabin? Exhaust sound was too loud? What made you suspect it?

hbalek

Reactions
Did you smell exhaust in the cabin? Exhaust sound was too loud? What made you suspect it?
I've had this for a while now both noise and exhaust smell when cold. I'm gonna have it checked at next oil change along with driver's seat panel break.

Reactions
After getting on it, there is an exhaust smell, and a slight exhaust leak noise when cold.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
My Service Dept informed me that they have to send in pictures to Ford in order to get the parts right away. They did on mine and had parts within a week or two. They replaced the left side catalytic converter and some clamps.

Last edited:
Reactions
My Service Dept informed me that they have to send in pictures to Ford in order to get the parts right. They did on mine and had parts within a week or two. They replaced the left side catalytic converter and some clamps.
Make sure they carefully inspect both. Left side was pretty easy to see, right side had to put a little pressure on it to see the crack. Had to replace both.

hbalek

Reactions
My Service Dept informed me that they have to send in pictures to Ford in order to get the parts right away. They did on mine and had parts within a week or two. They replaced the left side catalytic converter and some clamps.
My dealer service inspected my exhaust and ordered the driver's side catalytic converter for me as well. They also replaced the broken driver's seat panel today.

Reactions
Dealer told me mine were fine and parts are backordered , kept truck for seven days , did nothing ......

hbalek

Reactions
Dealer told me mine were fine and parts are backordered , kept truck for seven days , did nothing ......
That is unacceptable! My dealer will keep it for days before looking at it too but only when I've had a free loaner/rental car from them. That's their crutch, the loaner car. Inspecting a catalytic converter shouldn't take that long. They should be able to look at it while you wait a couple hours. Mine was looked at in an hour after my driver's seat trim was replaced. They had the car for a total of 5.5 hours.

Reactions
That is unacceptable! My dealer will keep it for days before looking at it too but only when I've had a free loaner/rental car from them. That's their crutch, the loaner car. Inspecting a catalytic converter shouldn't take that long. They should be able to look at it while you wait a couple hours. Mine was looked at in an hour after my driver's seat trim was replaced. They had the car for a total of 5.5 hours.
I made sure I got the loaner this time, when they fixed the heated seats they had it for 16 days , they also marked up the panel on the inside, I didn't make a big deal of it because it was a lease, however because of the current situation I wound up buying it and should have had it replaced. I agree it sat around for days before it was looked at, but it was on their dime this time.

hbalek

Reactions
I made sure I got the loaner this time, when they fixed the heated seats they had it for 16 days , they also marked up the panel on the inside, I didn't make a big deal of it because it was a lease, however because of the current situation I wound up buying it and should have had it replaced. I agree it sat around for days before it was looked at, but it was on their dime this time.
Tomorrow it will be a week and haven't heard from the service guy. So maybe my catalytic converter is on back order too. Now that the weather is colder here, I can really smell the exhaust on cold start.

Reactions
Tomorrow it will be a week and haven't heard from the service guy. So maybe my catalytic converter is on back order too. Now that the weather is colder here, I can really smell the exhaust on cold start.
I only smelled the exhaust here and there on the highway .. I have an axle back exhaust .... I read somewhere that ford pointed the exhaust down due to some seals under the trunk ..... my warranty is almost up so I brought it in , I am extremely heavy on the gas pedal ... I haven't smelled anything in a while....

Explorer ST Posts