Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New Potential Buyer

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
hello thanks in advance I am new here I have been reading a lot of threads. This forum has been a lot of help. I am considering buying a 2020 or 2021 ST with 40k miles around 38k $. . After reading about all the issues I am really getting cold feet. I do not want a vehicle in and out of a shop due to leaks or possible bolt breaking over again or worry about all the other warranty non fix items. Am I overreacting? I really like these suv but I need something reliable for travel. thanks.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
hello thanks in advance I am new here I have been reading a lot of threads. This forum has been a lot of help. I am considering buying a 2020 or 2021 ST with 40k miles around 38k $. . After reading about all the issues I am really getting cold feet. I do not want a vehicle in and out of a shop due to leaks or possible bolt breaking over again or worry about all the other warranty non fix items. Am I overreacting? I really like these suv but I need something reliable for travel. thanks.
I have a 2020 ST and have not had any major problems. Just FYI. Welcome to the forum.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I have a 21, 4 bolt rear. 38k miles. Paint correction and shocks were the only problems for me. My 360 cam works, but I still have an appointment this month for the recall.
Good ones are out there if you look hard enough. Heck you can buy mine if you want, I had shoulder surgery, can't drive yet. It sucks to look at it and not be able to drive it.

Reactions
Stay clear in my personal option. I have a 2020 with 45k miles and have had nothing but issues after two years of ownership. Getting rid of it once extended warranty expires at a huge depreciated rate.

Both catalytic converters replaced (drivers side replacement cracking again).
Transfer case replaced.
Passenger side CV joint replaced.
Bent wheel due to manufacturer defect.
Flex pipe rattle with no effective TSB.
Defective auto liftgate.
Rough idle when AC is on.
Defective auto stop.
Reverse camera blue screen.
Horrible paint, trim fitment, and other cosmetic shortcomings.

Only pros are the performance and cabin space.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I have a 3 bolt 2022 and haven't had any major issues to speak of. I like it more than my wife, but that is because of the upgrades I've done to it. She will be happier getting something else that is more comfortable riding and that I leave it alone.

And, Welcome to the forum.

Madisonville ST

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I have a 2021, 4 bolt rear, 42K miles, no problems.

Reactions
Issues aside, I think you really need to consider the depreciation rate on these things. Worst I have ever seen in any vehicle that I have owned. I want to say I paid $56k out the door in Jan of 22 with 20k miles. Now, the trade in value is roughly $33-35k. Granted, I bought this when the market was inflated beyond belief but got a great offer on my trade in.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Hey Scotty,

The pros and cons of a forum are pretty apparent when you're looking for a fix or an issue.

That being said there is always going to be quarks with any vehicle. I have a '21 just shy of 30K and zero issues. Luck of the draw sometimes. I did a ton of research before I bought my last car ('17 Fusion Sport) and saw all the good and bad that could be had with the car. At the end of the day it's going to come down to what you're looking to get for the money. Plenty of threads talking about the value of the ST compared to 'similar' vehicles like the Durango, etc.

There are lots of bells and whistles to go with a newer vehicle and with technology comes drawbacks. Test drive the ST and find out for yourself. Make sure it doesn't have any outstanding recalls and enjoy the ride! Good luck with the choice either way.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
2022 ST with low miles and Zero problems. More Info Here
Mine is stock and used as a daily driver.

In the used car market, you need to make sure the one you buy is not abused and sold because of the problems they have faced because of that abuse.
Every car comes with different set of problems, you just evaluate and figure out the best fit for yourself.

Take the information in any forum with a pinch of salt. Most people join to post a complain or find a solution or sell something.
At the same time, you may not find all the happy owners, posting 5 star reviews in any forum.