Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New Item: SPD cooler temp thermostat kits

F=MA

Reactions
This is one of those things where some "old hot rodding" advice that might have meant something due to completely different engine parameters might have yielded gains, but no longer. Do you really think the engineers who specialize in selecting the coolant temps best for the engine went out of their way to select something inappropriate? There is another consideration- using too low a temp may cause the ECU to determine the engine isn't completely warmed up. The ECU uses coolant temp as a modifier to injector duty cycle, resulting in a richer mixture at all times. In the worst case, you may not enter "closed loop" mode. Meaning you will get much worse MPG.
This is what I was also thinking. Can't drag forward all the tricks from the old days. I will cross the 170 degree thermostat off my list of things to do.