Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New Feature?

RTM

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
A couple of days ago, I noticed my '22 ST helping me steer without cruise control turned on. I just noticed a new icon for this. It is grey here, but it turns green when activated IMG_0905_01.JPG .

Did they enable a new feature without saying anything?

Reactions
A couple of days ago, I noticed my '22 ST helping me steer without cruise control turned on. I just noticed a new icon for this. It is grey here, but it turns green when activated View attachment 18699 .

Did they enable a new feature without saying anything?
That is lane keep assist. It works without cruise control on. Lane centering only works with cruise control on. The button for lane keeping is on the end of the signal control arm. You must have turned it on. Enjoy bouncing between the lines.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Screenshot_2023-07-16-10-49-49-36_f541918c7893c52dbd1ee5d319333948.jpg
What @Big Turk said.
You might have pressed the button accidentally.

hbalek

Reactions
This is why you read the owner's manual or watch Ford Owner's YouTube channel. All kinds of features you paid for and didn't know you had.

Reactions
This is now working with cruise control off. It always worked with cruise control on.
It works either way, you just have to turn it on. Lane centering is turned on with a button on the steering wheel, left side cluster, and is only active when cruise control is on and set. Lane keeping is a safety feature to prevent you from wandering into oncoming traffic or the ditch. Lane centering actively tries to keep your vehicle in the center of the lane, okay slightly left of center in my vehicle's case, but I digress.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
That is lane keep assist. It works without cruise control on. Lane centering only works with cruise control on. The button for lane keeping is on the end of the signal control arm. You must have turned it on. Enjoy bouncing between the lines.
Mine doesn’t do that at all. Works great.

Reactions
If you drive on a highway with no fog line, with lane keep assist on (lane centering won't work without a line on both sides) and you let go of the steering wheel while heading towards the centerline the vehicle will bounce off the yellow line and then head towards the shoulder and unless you correct the vehicle will just go off the road. Give it a try, carefully.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
If you drive on a highway with no fog line, with lane keep assist on (lane centering won't work without a line on both sides) and you let go of the steering wheel while heading towards the centerline the vehicle will bounce off the yellow line and then head towards the shoulder and unless you correct the vehicle will just go off the road. Give it a try, carefully.
But why would you ever do that? Lane assist is just that. Assist to your regular driving. The lane centering tech while on the highway will only work when you have both lines detected. Unless I’m misunderstanding what you’re saying.

Reactions
But why would you ever do that? Lane assist is just that. Assist to your regular driving. The lane centering tech while on the highway will only work when you have both lines detected. Unless I’m misunderstanding what you’re saying.
For sure, my suggestion is to test the functionality of the system. The lane keeping assist is just a fail safe for some one that is inattentive. Yes, lane centering only works when it can find the "center" and with cruise control active and set. I am always interested in automated features as everyone keeps thinking self-driving vehicles will be herr soon. I think an autonomous vehicle is still a distant dream. Cheers.