Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New 2020 Explorer

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Recently picked up a new 2020 ST

Roughly 50k Miles on it, Dealer mentioned they had done some exhaust mods and wastegates to it. Driving it it definitely sounds true but I noticed that the shifts seem a bit quicker than stock too. Is there a way to see if a tune was uploaded to the car?

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST

Roughly 50k Miles on it, Dealer mentioned they had done some exhaust mods and wastegates to it. Driving it it definitely sounds true but I noticed that the shifts seem a bit quicker than stock too. Is there a way to see if a tune was uploaded to the car?
Congrats and welcome. Post some pics.

Kirk ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions

My 2020 with 40k miles shifted really poorly, especially at slow speeds. Apparently the car 'learns' your driving style. I bought it with 5k miles, so perhaps that driver and I messed it up! I had the PCM reflashed at my last service appointment (free) as per advice on this post. It shifts way differently now. Not to suggest you don't have a tune in there somewhere, just that eah truck could feel different depending on the driving style of the main owner. post some pix/sounds if you get the chance. I'm probably going to do an exhaust this year and always interested in the options!

OP
J
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
My 2020 with 40k miles shifted really poorly, especially at slow speeds. Apparently the car 'learns' your driving style. I bought it with 5k miles, so perhaps that driver and I messed it up! I had the PCM reflashed at my last service appointment (free) as per advice on this post. It shifts way differently now. Not to suggest you don't have a tune in there somewhere, just that eah truck could feel different depending on the driving style of the main owner. post some pix/sounds if you get the chance. I'm probably going to do an exhaust this year and always interested in the options!
Pics will be here shortly. I noticed that if I turn off auto stop start it stays off and I don't have to keep turning it off every time I start up the vehicle

Kirk ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Pics will be here shortly. I noticed that if I turn off auto stop start it stays off and I don't have to keep turning it off every time I start up the vehicle
I know there's an autostart delete harness you can get. I haven't done it, but see them here. Sounds like your last owner touched a bunch of little things like that. nice surprises (I hope!)

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Sounds like the previous owner did some nice things. Hopefully they took care of the front axles and catalytic converter pipe(s) and got rid of the stock flex pipes. Take some pics of underneath the car for us. And congrats!

OP
J
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
20240117_185731.jpg

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
For all who are interested, the ST does not "learn your driving style". What it does do is "learn" tolerances in the engagement and disengagement of the clutches between gears as those tolerances change over time.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST

Welcome to the forum.

Kirk ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
For all who are interested, the ST does not "learn your driving style". What it does do is "learn" tolerances in the engagement and disengagement of the clutches between gears as those tolerances change over time.
Interesting, thanks for the clarification. Odd that a system like that would learn in a way that makes the driving experience worse over time.