Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Nasty Tire Vibration Solved

Reactions
I recently had an increasing tire vibration problem on my 2020 ST with 18,500 miles. Took the ST to a Costco tire center to have the tire balance checked for lost weight, damaged rim or whatever. Balancer had massive weight shift so they took tire off the rim. Unknown to me, the original Pirelli P Zero tires have a foam coat inside the tire for noise comfort(????). It had deteriated and was formaing clumps and coming off the rubber. I had them remove the stuff and everything is perfrect. Apparently, a number of performace type tires (Tesla for one) have this noise insulation added and it has been known to be a problem with some of those tires. Anyone else have to deal with this issue? Looking for a good warm weather with wet traction replacement for future.

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Yah other people have had this problem. Another reason to get Michelins.

OP
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Which Michelins?

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Michelin Pilot Sport4 All-Seasons. They're amazing performance tires and they are amazing on our GT500.

OP
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
I have similar preformance tires on my Shelby GT350, but wonder what if those Michelins are good on a heavy Explorer ST SUV?

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
They hold up great. Really good tire. Same with the Conti Sport Contacts. I've also been insanely impressed with my Toyo Proxes, especially considering they were a cheap option I chose to make sure my fitment was going to work before investing in a set of Pilot Super Sports.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
I have used MPS A/S tires on several performance vehicles, they always hold up very well for traction, mileage, and performance

Reactions
I recently had an increasing tire vibration problem on my 2020 ST with 18,500 miles. Took the ST to a Costco tire center to have the tire balance checked for lost weight, damaged rim or whatever. Balancer had massive weight shift so they took tire off the rim. Unknown to me, the original Pirelli P Zero tires have a foam coat inside the tire for noise comfort(????). It had deteriated and was formaing clumps and coming off the rubber. I had them remove the stuff and everything is perfrect. Apparently, a number of performace type tires (Tesla for one) have this noise insulation added and it has been known to be a problem with some of those tires. Anyone else have to deal with this issue? Looking for a good warm weather with wet traction replacement for future.
Did you mean Scorpion Zero's? I had a bad vibration, which I was told was a bent wheel and the tire was fine after I asked them a hand full of times to check the bands on the tire to make sure they were intact. Did not know about this foam issue until seeing this thread. Really hoping that Ford was competent enough to check if this foam addition is included the Scorpion Zero's.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I am guessing the 'foam' in the tires are for these PNCS version of the tires. It's disappointing to hear the foam degrades, that seems like a bad idea... That may be the cause of a minor vibration at highway speed I am experiencing. Thanks for the information!
1670596942886.png

Reactions
The OE's apparently do not have this "Noise Reduction Technology" Unless, for some reason it does not specify on the product description.
1670600605303.png

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Dealers should be aware of the foam issue.

1670601448501.png

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Thats nuts, i've heard of odd things with OE tires. Not surprised the same tire bought aftermarket doesn't have it. The tires put on from the factory are designed to be most comfortable thing so car is great for test drives etc. Used to see cars come in with 10K or less and tires were almost bald. Gotta do what you can to get them cars sold lol.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
There's usually a mfg code as part of the name/nomenclature, for example, LR is molded into Land Rover OEM tires:

1670607258190.png

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Pretty sure they should be labelled "PNCS" on the tire. I thought only a few Platinums got this tire but looks like not. 63980_pncs-system-redukcji-halasu-pirelli-nowosc_1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Reactions
Thread Starter #16
As you can see by my location, winter is not an issue. Why the foam insulation failed after 18,000 miles seems strange. run fine without it.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'd guess it's more likely to fail due to under-inflation and heat than snow.

Reactions
Mine have this PNCS label on them as well. The OE tires do not mention this within the product description but if you zoom in on the tires themselves, it has this labeled.