Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Mysterious rattles solved.

jetdriver1775

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
I had two diff rattles that were driving me nuts. The first was a loose piece of exhaust heat shield, or whatever it’s called underneath. And later I found this metal flange that would vibrate against some piping above the left rear wheel. FYI.

Also I left it at the Ford dealer all day so they could test drive it with a technician and they couldn’t find that rattle with the flange. It took me 10 mins and a short drive around the block.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions
Wow. Great pics and video. Sure appreciate the detective work.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Great job finding those. They'd have driven me crazy.

Reactions
I had two diff rattles that were driving me nuts. The first was a loose piece of exhaust heat shield, or whatever it’s called underneath. And later I found this metal flange that would vibrate against some piping above the left rear wheel. FYI.

Also I left it at the Ford dealer all day so they could test drive it with a technician and they couldn’t find that rattle with the flange. It took me 10 mins and a short drive around the block.
I hope this is the cause of the rattle I hear! Sounds like a jingling rattle sound from inside the cabin. Found to be coming from left wheel area. We shall see in the AM

Reactions
It's amazing how far just a tiny little bit of effort goes!

Reactions
nice work!