Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Must Do Upgrades w/out Transmission Stress

Sarge101st

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Just as the title says. I'm purchasing a used 2020 ST in the next week or so and I've already started to choose what we're doing with the vehicle after purchase. After lurking through the forums I've got some idea on what I want to add to the ST but I'm not sure about over stressing the transmission. Seems like that's the #1 pain point once everyone reaches north of 500 WHP so to avoid this...

-Which engine specific upgrades could/should I do that will not over stress the transmission? I was thinking of the Whipple intercooler (or alternative,) AFE intake, and maybe a multi-octane tune from ZFG or alternate. Would these upgrades put a lot of strain on the transmission? Maybe I should just do the intercooler and intake?

-In terms of non engine specific performance upgrades. It seems like the gentleman over at Houston Speed Freaks was very impressed with the vehicles composure after installing the front and rear sway bars from Steeda. He also installed the strut tower brace but it doesn't sound like he noticed any improvement with that swap. A few people in reviews say they noticed improved handling but not many are. Thoughts?

-Other things of note are hood struts, a full 3 rows of Tuxmat floor mats, LED swaps on license plate, turn signal, high beams, and reverse lights, a tire swap and maybe a LED ST logo for the grill.

-I love Tuxmat floor mats after having them in my Genesis. I like 3DMaxpider mats as well but Tuxmat feels a bit more high end. Unless someone knows of an alternative?

-The LED swaps seem easy and straightforward but I haven't found a thread or post yet that shows anyone swapping out the halogen 9005 high beams for an LED bulb instead. Does anybody know if it's easy to access the high beam bulb or do I need to drop the bumper?

-I really liked the LED ST logo for the front grill. Install seems like it's not too hard but could be a challenge?

-I'll probably be throwing on a set of Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires on the ST after we get it. I know these aren't the best tires for performance but I can't do a full summer or summer leaning A/S tire in Oklahoma which is why I chose the Cross Climate 2's because I didn't want to have a separate set of snow tires. Anyone have feedback on the CC2's on the ST if they've done it?

-Last question is how the media screen and gauges have been improving or not since the vehicle's release? I've noticed a consensus on 2020 reviews that didn't like the utilization of screen space on the 10.1" as well as the laggy nature of the gauges when making changes. Has Ford improved this since release with software updates?

Reactions
You can throw all the bolt-ons you can on this and it won't gain power. The IC is the only thing that will give a performance boost because the larger IC won't heat soak like the stock unit. You will want a tune to get all the bang from your buck.

I would first recommend changing your trans fluid and filter. The majority of STs are underfilled from the factory. There are bone stock cars out there (not just STs) that have transmission issues/failures. Many STs are running mid 11 sec 1/4mi times on stock trans with zero issues, me included.

For tires, take a look at Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06+. I lived in OK for ~36 years and only had a few snow storms that these wouldn't be suitable for....but those storms also shut everything down so it wouldn't really matter. Ice was the big concern and nothing aside from studded or dedicated winter tires help with that.

OP
Sarge101st

Sarge101st

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Good to know. Yeah I knew the tune would be the most impactful but I didn't want to stress it too much. That's good to know on the tranny fluid issues though. Obviously I'm getting a used one so I hope I'm inheriting someone's non-abused transmission. I'll probably go ahead and do the tune and then slowly add the intercooler and intake.

Reactions
ZFG arguably does the best transmission tuning of anyone. I believe some, if not all, of the canned tunes don't even modify transmission shifting. Adam is a wizard at it. It is expensive and it does take longer to get the tunes than if you bought a "one size fits all" canned tune, but it is definitely worth it.

OP
Sarge101st

Sarge101st

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
That's what I kept reading as well. Seems like the better way to go. Even though it'll cost more in time and money it'll be better suited to my individual vehicle equaling better performance