Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Multiple Sync Problems

Reactions
Since getting our ST about three months ago, we've encountered multiple problems with the Sync system.

1. General slowness, unresponsiveness, including instrument screen. Sometimes I'll drive nearly a mile before the instrument cluster screen shows up. Not to mention how slow the menu system is, delays in button taps, changing radio stations presets, etc.
Is this a software issue or very poor/underpowered hardware? The fact that the instrument cluster is tied to the Sync system and not it's own dedicated processor/software is worrisome.

2. Night mode always switches back to Auto, no matter how often we change it.

3. Does not remember Wi-Fi networks/passwords which it has been connected to before.

4. Sirius icons disappear randomly, sometimes for days at a time then randomly reappear.

I've upgraded to the latest version, 3.4.20136, and that hasn't seemed to help any of these issues.

Is this normal behavior or is this something I need to bring it in to the dealer to fix?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
You need to hit the dealer. If you have nothing on the front dash ("instrument cluster"), that is a safety issue and shouldn't happen. Your other stuff is minor but still not normal.

OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Anyone else had any of these issues?

CoastieN70

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
Sounds like a hardware problem. Bang on the dealers desk until it is fixed!

Hammy

Reactions
Sounds like a hardware problem. Bang on the dealers desk until it is fixed!
+1. The dealer needs to look at it and needs to replace the faulty components. “The squeaky wheel always gets the oil.”

As a temporary fix have you tried to master reset on the sync 3?

Reactions
Yeah, except for slowness, nothing else should be happening. Did you get your dealer to look at it

Reactions
I guess this is what they mean by “chip shortage” - they must put in the ones they find on the floor, or they don’t put them in at all.

I just LOVE it when you start up, put it in reverse, then sit there until the screen gets around to booting…