Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

MRT hiflow H-Pipe installation?

Reactions
I have been to the ends of the internet and back trying to find more examples of exhaust modifications. I am 99.99% certain I do not want a full exhaust swap. Im just looking for the slightest bit of extra notes to come from the exhaust tips.

The MRT H-PIPE sounds like its the right mode for me but the video on the site doesn't give an example of driving with it and they only go up to 3000RPM or so. Anyone out there with only the H-pipe installed that could add some sound clips from inside and outside the cabin while driving?

Reactions
It's about a 10% increase in sound. Not even that noticeable, but not obnoxious either. It's actually more like the previous gen Sport model, which had a great sound. If you look on MRT's site, the pics they use are of my vehicle. The h-pipe is very high quality and something I'd recommend to anyone wanting to have a mellow rumble.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Sounds good, i just ordered it! Ill try and post a few sounds clips once installed.

Zim

Reactions
I’d recommend the axle back over the h pipe… but that’s just me. It’s louder and gets rid of the ugly stock tips.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
@Zim From what i can tell thats a bit too loud for my liking. My daughter sleeps directly above the garage and I don't need her waking up every time I sneak out to go golf in the morning. I also purchased tips to solve the stock issue

Reactions
FYI..If you want louder, I put the Borla Atak catback on (as most have already done) and changed out the mid resonator to a custom X-pipe.
I might have to put the mid resonator back because the cold starts in the morning are extremely loud and my wife is nagging me to change it out.
Worst part is it's summer right now so mornings are usually around 70F...I can't imagine winter cold starts where it can get down to -30 degrees F.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Does anyone know if there's someone from MRT on this forum?

I had the h-pipe installed yesterday....Love the subtle sound it added! But the clamps that came with the kit didnt clamp tight on the rear connections. I had to add a few pieces of aluminum to fill the gaps.

Attachments

Reactions
Any drone with this setup? How are you liking it a few months later?

Reactions
I'm surprised those stock flex couplings are still holding up for you and not rattling your brain lol.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
@ooHi-Fioo No drone issues. Besides the clamp issue....still happy with my decision! Just the right amount of added sound.

@Ford Guy I do get minor rattle on cold starts....but as soon as i put it into D it goes away.

Reactions
When I was in Michigan picking mine up, I just decided to have MRT install it since it probably would have sat in the box for another month or so. They tack welded the brackets on after they were clamped down - not sure if that is standard for their guys or due to a loose fit. In any case, no issues with it.

Exhaust6.jpg

Exhaust7.jpg

Reactions
is this MRT H pipe on a stock exhaust or do you have an aftermarket exhaust on as well?
Also, do you have any mods done to the ST?
I was thinking of going this route and adding to the Borla Atak by removing the mid resonator.
I tried with a custom X pipe and it was too loud but if the MRT h pipe is subtle with low drone, I might try it out.
I do have some mods done which increases the level of exhaust that's why I ask about your exhaust and mods.
Tks.

Reactions
is this MRT H pipe on a stock exhaust or do you have an aftermarket exhaust on as well?
Also, do you have any mods done to the ST?
I was thinking of going this route and adding to the Borla Atak by removing the mid resonator.
I tried with a custom X pipe and it was too loud but if the MRT h pipe is subtle with low drone, I might try it out.
I do have some mods done which increases the level of exhaust that's why I ask about your exhaust and mods.
Tks.
If that question is for me, my exhaust is completely stock except for the H-pipe. Still has a nice little rumble, but not loud at all. I do like the sound of this since it's on par with the previous generation Sport, and since I have the electronic engine noise turned off, this sounds relatively pleasant. On the flip side, have tossed around the idea of a complete aftermarket kit and really like Magnaflow's, especially since it comes with their own inlet pipes. Otherwise, no problems with my OE flex pipes and enjoy this vehicle essentially as it is.

Exhaust6.jpg

Reactions
If that question is for me, my exhaust is completely stock except for the H-pipe. Still has a nice little rumble, but not loud at all. I do like the sound of this since it's on par with the previous generation Sport, and since I have the electronic engine noise turned off, this sounds relatively pleasant. On the flip side, have tossed around the idea of a complete aftermarket kit and really like Magnaflow's, especially since it comes with their own inlet pipes. Otherwise, no problems with my OE flex pipes and enjoy this vehicle essentially as it is.

View attachment 8372
Thanks for the feedback.
I wonder if anyone on the forum has this same H pipe with an aftermarket exhaust, IC, dp's and tune or close to this setup lol.

Reactions
Funny you mention that: if I don't replace this with a Magnaflow kit, was thinking of visiting a local custom shop to see what they could do as far as new tail pipes (from the 'H' back) and maybe just two Magnaflow mufflers and tips. Otherwise, I could have easily left the stock resonator on (luckily, I saved it) and gone with MRT's or a custom straight-through axle-back. Just didn't want to annoy my neighbors, although when I occasionally take my Cobra out, they all don't mind that.

Reactions
When I was in Michigan picking mine up, I just decided to have MRT install it since it probably would have sat in the box for another month or so. They tack welded the brackets on after they were clamped down - not sure if that is standard for their guys or due to a loose fit. In any case, no issues with it.

View attachment 8370

View attachment 8371
Why would they weld the clamps on? I don't understand as it's only going to make it difficult to remove and if they thought the clamps weren't going to seal this won't help.

Reactions
No idea why - possibly just to ensure the strongest clamping force. Didn’t notice it until after the job was done. Figured if I ever remove it, I’ll have to hit the outer welds with my grinder to break them free. Maybe a slight annoyance, but probably not a big deal.

Reactions
Tough to tell by the angle but it almost looks like they used too large of a clamp. Could be that it was still a bit loose when they tightened them as much as possible so they welded it up. There is no reason the clamps should have welds. I wouldn’t be ok with it, but it’s not my ST.

Reactions
Tough to tell by the angle but it almost looks like they used too large of a clamp. Could be that it was still a bit loose when they tightened them as much as possible so they welded it up. There is no reason the clamps should have welds. I wouldn’t be ok with it, but it’s not my ST.
That could be, but they are what was supplied by MRT. Again, I didn’t notice the tack-welds until after they were done, but neglected to ask if it was a normal procedure. In the event I never “upgrade” the exhaust, I won’t worry about it since it’s leak-free. If it does come off, just some extra steps on my end to break them free. Not that big of a deal, in my opinion.

Reactions
That could be, but they are what was supplied by MRT. Again, I didn’t notice the tack-welds until after they were done, but neglected to ask if it was a normal procedure. In the event I never “upgrade” the exhaust, I won’t worry about it since it’s leak-free. If it does come off, just some extra steps on my end to break them free. Not that big of a deal, in my opinion.
I agree it's not a huge deal, but if MRT designed the kit and they are the ones installing it yet they feel they need to tweak it or modify it to make it work...maybe they need to update the kit. I believe another person mentioned the clamps being too big as well.