Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

More Cracked Headlights

BooSTed

Reactions
Got a brand spanking new set of headlights courtesy of my Ford warranty. Problem is, the new ones are cracked too! Checked every ford explorer on the lot, ALL broken, very Suttle cracks everyone so look at your crome strip inside your lights with the black bezel. All are at different positions inside the light. Here's some pics. Ford needs to know, you guys need to tell! Go get em fixed!

Attachments

Reactions
Got a brand spanking new set of headlights courtesy of my Ford warranty. Problem is, the new ones are cracked too! Checked every ford explorer on the lot, ALL broken, very Suttle cracks everyone so look at your crome strip inside your lights with the black bezel. All are at different positions inside the light. Here's some pics. Ford needs to know, you guys need to tell! Go get em fixed!
I just looked at mine as well, and this isn't a crack. It looks like it's from the manufacturing process. I'm 99.9% sure you will never get one without that in there.

OP
BooSTed

BooSTed

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I just looked at mine as well, and this isn't a crack. It looks like it's from the manufacturing process. I'm 99.9% sure you will never get one without that in there.
My first set didn't have any. And they aren't in the same spot, I measured them. Ford replaced them, it's a crack.

Reactions
My first set didn't have any. And they aren't in the same spot, I measured them. Ford replaced them, it's a crack.
I still think it's not a crack and a line from being manufactured or chrome coated, it's way to clean of a line to be a crack. Just because the dealership replaced them doesn't mean it's a crack, just that they weren't sure and replacing them was easier than fighting you on it. Dealers do this all the time as more of a "good faith" gesture, esp if they are a good dealer and want to make you happy.

And if for some reason it is a crack... well I hope with the AZ heat that in a couple years they expand so I can get the headlight units replaced under warranty at the time :)

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
From the pics, I'm not even sure what crack you are talking about? I looked at my headlights and don't see anything out of the ordinary.

Reactions
From the pics, I'm not even sure what crack you are talking about? I looked at my headlights and don't see anything out of the ordinary.
I'll try to take a photo in a bit and highlight the line.

Reactions
Here are a couple photos
20210405_150912.jpg 20210405_150935.jpg

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
OK thanks. Yeah, I have a few of those on the inside pieces. I do not think they are cracks either but scratches from manufacturing. One of the scratches in particular is in the exact same spot on both sides. I'm not too worried about it and certainly wouldn't pursue replacement--especially when taking them out could result in problems. I've had a headlight replaced before on another car--only to find months later that they didn't put back one of the nuts that held it in.

OP
BooSTed

BooSTed

Reactions
Thread Starter #9
Glad yours are possibly just a small scratch or molding marks that are in the same place. Mine however are in different places by 3¹/⁴inches apart. Thanks!

Reactions
After reading both posts on cracked headlights I looked mine over and found them to be crack, scratch or mold mark free. I am seeing nothing like in the pics above. I say keep on Ford until they make it right.

My 2015 Dodge Ram had 10 hydraulic fan clutches and probably 20 shop visits over a year and a half until Dodge got it right. Was a pain in the rear for me but I wasn't letting them off the hook. I wonder how many Rams are driving around with the fan clutch stuck on due to a lot of faulty clutches?

Blk_Ravn_ST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The marks are mold/seam marks common in manufacturing process. Ford should have smoothed them out in the manufacturing process. It’s things like this that remind me I bought a Ford and not lexus.

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
I know this is a really old thread but just FYI those that look at this thread later on.....those are cracks in the uv coating on the headlights. The coating is super fragile and can even come off if you apply vinyl tint and later decide to take the tint off. Ask me how I know....