Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Monster Tune

monstertuned

Vendor
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I have been meaning to post more of a review on our experience with the Adapt-X as well, but time keeps getting away from me.

First, I have had it on the stock tune recently. I have some unrelated dealer work going on and it was easier to leave it off for a week or two with multiple visits vs re-flashing each time. My wife has already asked when is it going to be tuned again, "as it drives so much better".

For us the adapt-x was intriguing, as 93 is hard to find locally -- only one gas station in my city has it. So being able to swap to a 91 on the fly and not worry was ideal for travel in our area.

I have had more "traditional" tunes in the past with the back and forth with the tuner, but being this was a daily shared with my wife I did not want to have to deal with that. The adapt-x has worked as promised and I knew we were not going to do major engine upgrades, everything they listed as compatible worked for us (plugs, catback exhaust, intercooler, K&N, etc)

So after taking the gamble and ordering, we have been very happy. The response times to questions before and after the sale have been amazing!

Originally we were running a 91 E0 (the most prevalent premium fuel in our area) pretune and on the initial install. After reviewing the dragy results with Monster, they highly recommended a 93 E10. Once we found a gas station near us offering 93 its been a significant improvement in performance. I have not had a chance to run it since our IC install and I am looking forward to those results now as well.

I can say this is not a feel tune. I will need to make some new dragy runs, I swapped my phone over to a different OS and didnt save past results. Interestingly, I also seem to get slightly better MPG with the tune. I just took a trip with the stock tune and a few weeks earlier took almost the same roads, stock tune resulted in 2 MPG less than last trip I logged. Could be a one off, time will tell next time I run it with the tune.

For us it was the right tune so far, but each driver has their own specific needs and wants.

Appreciate the review! The tune scales with fuel quality so the better the fuel the better the performance as you stated you felt the difference between 91 (0% ethanol) and 93 (10% ethanol). I'm also curious if you had the intercooler before or after tuning. Intercooler should be 30-40whp gain top end, if you did it after the tune, did you feel the difference?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Appreciate the review! The tune scales with fuel quality so the better the fuel the better the performance as you stated you felt the difference between 91 (0% ethanol) and 93 (10% ethanol). I'm also curious if you had the intercooler before or after tuning. Intercooler should be 30-40whp gain top end, if you did it after the tune, did you feel the difference?
Tune was before the intercooler. Only minimal driving since the IC and plugs were installed, should have some more feedback on those soon ...hopefully.

Last edited:

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST, 2012 Boss Mustang, 2019 Audi S4
Question about adding E85. If I add some to the tank it adapts to the added E content accordingly and produces more power over straight 93e10?

monstertuned

Vendor
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Question about adding E85. If I add some to the tank it adapts to the added E content accordingly and produces more power over straight 93e10?
You can mix up to e20 safely on the adapt-x pump gas map, if you want pure thrill I recommend e50.