Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Monster Tune

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Been running this tune for a couple months on my '22 ST. I couldn't be happier. It uses the SCT/BDX device which everybody is familiar with. The tune will adapt to new "add-ons" like exhaust, CAI, intercooler etc. I have installed an intercooler, CAI and new cold side charge pipe and haven't had to "reflash" or get a new tune. It does shift hard so, you'll need to learn how to shift easily when using paddle shifters. The best part is the staff at Monster Tune. These guys work weekends and nights. They answer your questions and concerns almost immediately. Great group. I've run SCT, MyCalibrator and N gauge on previous rides and Monster Tune is as easy, if not easier, than the rest. Highly recommend.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Been running this tune for a couple months on my '22 ST. I couldn't be happier. It uses the SCT/BDX device which everybody is familiar with. The tune will adapt to new "add-ons" like exhaust, CAI, intercooler etc. I have installed an intercooler, CAI and new cold side charge pipe and haven't had to "reflash" or get a new tune. It does shift hard so, you'll need to learn how to shift easily when using paddle shifters. The best part is the staff at Monster Tune. These guys work weekends and nights. They answer your questions and concerns almost immediately. Great group. I've run SCT, MyCalibrator and N gauge on previous rides and Monster Tune is as easy, if not easier, than the rest. Highly recommend.
Just to respond to your comments:

I don't think "everybody is familiar with" the SCT/BDX device. I certainly am not. But perhaps SOME people are.

"The tune will adapt to new "add-ons..." And since Moster Tune didn't post this, perhaps you could answer how they do this? Are you suggesting the tune willl actually take advantage of these mods? Or, it just doesn't throw any codes?

"You'll need to learn how to shift easily when using the paddle shifters." Really? Since this is just an electrical signal to shift, perhaps you'd share your technique?

I can appreciate that you like your tune, but if you're only going to shill for a vendor, I suggest you post facts along with puffery!

OP
ST PETE
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Thread Starter #3
OK there TMac. I'm saying I like the simplicity of the tune. I'm not a "gear head" or engineer. Just a simple "end user". So, I don't profess to understand or know all the technical aspects of the tune. Maybe you do. Just enjoy utilizing the power of the vehicle. So has far as "shill", whatever that means I just was impressed by the staff I dealt with. I'm not as knowledgeable on tunes or tuning as you appear to be, just appreciate the help I got...

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Fair enough. It's not personal, I don't know you and I appreciate you didn't take it that way. Still interested in the paddle shifter technique tho. ;)

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I installed the Monster 93 octane tune a few weeks ago, and agree with STPETE it works well and was easy to do. If you add additional upgrades to the vehicle you have to re-flash the tune, the paragraph below is from their website.

"One of the largest benefits of Adapt-X is that you can continue to modify your vehicle with out changes to your calibration. Adapt-X will support most bolt on modifications and when a part is changed you can re-flash the calibration or perform a KAM reset using the SCT BDX tuner so that the vehicle can re learn turbo and airflow parameters stored in the KAM table."

What I like most about the Adapt-X Tune is that maintains 100% stock OEM feel (The Transmission does shift a little quicker), and provides the maximum power that the car is capable of. This is the link to the website that has more details of how the Tune works, Explorer ST Adapt-X Tune (BDX Bundle) (monstertuned.com).

monstertuned

Vendor
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Appreciate the feedback!

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
"One of the largest benefits of Adapt-X is that you can continue to modify your vehicle with out changes to your calibration. Adapt-X will support most bolt on modifications and when a part is changed you can re-flash the calibration or perform a KAM reset using the SCT BDX tuner so that the vehicle can re learn turbo and airflow parameters stored in the KAM table."

I want to say that if you're happy with this tune, good for you! Here's what I will say so that potential buyers are properly informed. EVERY tune out there will allow you to add bolt-on modifications. The question that has to be asked is if a tune can truly take advantage of those changes? The answer is no. If that were the case, you would never, ever have to reflash a new tune. And that vendor would be a genius. Although, I guess they wouldn't ever have repeat business!

I understand that Monster does not claim this, even though their website jargon might suggest this is the case. They also don't claim that their tune will improve gas mileage, but they're clever enough to allow others to do this for them! (see original thread).

So besides altering the shifts "the Transmission does shift a little quicker" and providing more horsepower (one would hope so), then what does "maintains 100% stock OEM feel mean"? In that case, once again, EVERY tune could claim that "advantage".

If you think I'm being unfair, I'm just pointing out a few things that seem much more like marketing material than actual information. This forum is for sharing information, not misinformation, so if a manufacturer makes claims that are shady, 'm going to call them on it.

monstertuned

Vendor
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST

I want to say that if you're happy with this tune, good for you! Here's what I will say so that potential buyers are properly informed. EVERY tune out there will allow you to add bolt-on modifications. The question that has to be asked is if a tune can truly take advantage of those changes? The answer is no.

I understand that Monster does not claim this, even though their website jargon might suggest this is the case. They also don't claim that their tune will improve gas mileage, but they're clever enough to allow others to do this for them! (see original thread).

So besides altering the shifts "the Transmission does shift a little quicker" and providing more horsepower (one would hope so), then what does "maintains 100% stock OEM feel mean"? In that case, once again, EVERY tune could claim that "advantage".

If you think I'm being unfair, I'm just pointing out a few things that seem much more like marketing material than actual information. This forum is for sharing information, not misinformation, so if a manufacturer makes claims that are shady, 'm going to call them on it.
Hey @TMac

The tune will absolutely take advantage of modifications on the vehicle. All ecoboosts except the older 3.5 gen 1 engine are speed density. Air density is calculated using pressure and temperature.

Intake will not need re-tuning because it's speed density not maf
Downpipe does not need wastegate changes because of the closed loop PID controller wastegate system that makes constant corrections from the basemap and then learns those values and stores them in KAM (hence kam reset after changing parts)
Charge air cooler upgrades (intercoolers) do not need any changes to take advantage of if you follow the OEM LSPI load model where max allowed engine load is modeled off charge air temp. Cooler charge air means the ecu will allow more engine load. Our tune uses the OEM LSPI load model so when charge temps are cooler the engine allows more air load.
Max allowed spark advance is increased and the spark advance curve has been modified for performance calibrations, the vehicle will learn spark/load using KOM (knock octane modifier to get the spark as close to the knock threshold as possible as the fuel in the gas tank permits), then spark advance will add spark in quickly until a single knock event per cylinder and then reduce knock advance rate from fast to the normal rate to keep the spark curve near the optimal spark curve as permitted by fuel quality.

We tune with the same model on the fiesta st, focus st, ecoboost mustang, f150 raptor and more.

This is how our tunes work, when people come to me and ask for a custom dyno tune I tell them there isn't really anything to be had over Adapt-X. There's more money to be made in a "custom dyno tune" so it's counter productive to offer a flash and go and then never collect again if we were "shilling".

Last edited:

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
"This is how our tunes work, when people come to me and ask for a custom dyno tune I tell them there isn't really anything to be had over Adapt-X. There's more money to be made in a "custom dyno tune" so it's counter productive to offer a flash and go and then never collect again if we were "shilling".

I appreciate your response, even though I don't think "shilling" is a verb. So what I hear you saying is that a custom @ZFGracing tune (let's say 93) will not get better performance than your Adapt-X tune? If that's the case, bravo sir! Because I have seen multiple examples of approximately 100 whp over stock on completely stock STs with that custom tune. Do you have any dynos that we could see showing that? Does this also mean that one could run e50 on your tune and automatically see 150 whp over stock vs a ZFG tune? And, no, I'm sure if you ask Adam at ZFG he'd never consider me a "shill" for his products!

monstertuned

Vendor
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
"This is how our tunes work, when people come to me and ask for a custom dyno tune I tell them there isn't really anything to be had over Adapt-X. There's more money to be made in a "custom dyno tune" so it's counter productive to offer a flash and go and then never collect again if we were "shilling".

I appreciate your response, even though I don't think "shilling" is a verb. So what I hear you saying is that a custom @ZFGracing tune (let's say 93) will not get better performance than your Adapt-X tune? If that's the case, bravo sir! Because I have seen multiple examples of approximately 100 whp over stock on completely stock STs with that custom tune. Do you have any dynos that we could see showing that? Does this also mean that one could run e50 on your tune and automatically see 150 whp over stock vs a ZFG tune? And, no, I'm sure if you ask Adam at ZFG he'd never consider me a "shill" for his products!
Thanks again for your response. I don't think there's anything left to say here, we don't comment on other tuners products because it's unprofessional. Everyone is allowed to have their own method of tuning and I'm sure they do an amazing job.

Take care and have a great day!

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thanks again for your response. I don't think there's anything left to say here, we don't comment on other tuners products because it's unprofessional. Everyone is allowed to have their own method of tuning and I'm sure they do an amazing job.

Take care and have a great day!
Hey! Just checking a few specifics so I understand.

Do you change the LSPI values in all the groups, ie low, medium, high, & max, or just one of the tables?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
^^^ All of the various tables are contributors to the end result. Might as well also ask if they changed the wastegate PID algorithm parameters. You can certainly see in the ZFG dyno that he has done a lot of work in that area to achieve what he has in the dynos I've seen. I wouldn't expect a tuner to divulge that info

monstertuned

Vendor
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Hey! Just checking a few specifics so I understand.

Do you change the LSPI values in all the groups, ie low, medium, high, & max, or just one of the tables?
Good question! I've been tuning ecoboosts since 2016, spent years learning how the OAR/KOM (newer system) works and how the high/med/low tables are blended based on octane learned and pre ignition modifier. I even sat down with cobb engineers in Austin, TX to deep dive into the focus st ecu back in 2017.
While I shared a very high level of how our tune works and supports 87-93 octane on a single tune with adaptive learning like the OEM tune on this forum, I can't really go deeper into the exact table changes I make.

The colonel will tell you they use 11 herbs and spices, but they won't tell you which and how much of each :)

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I didn’t ask for specifics, just if you changed the Load values in any/all the tables. You said you still utilized the OEM strategies, so I was poking to see what you would say. I hope you’re successful in your business! ;)

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
It would be interesting to see some dragy results to compare performance.

Reactions
Hi, not a "shill" here, just a former customer and fellow community advocate. Here is my experience with Monster Tuned for those who are just learning about them or have any doubts to their credibility:

Although I never went through any upgrades during the time with my Explorer, I will say that even completely stock (minus axle-back exhaust,) my vehicle did great on a Monster Tune. Tim over there worked tirelessly to make sure my vehicle was making as much safe and efficient power as possible. It ran amazing and put up some fairly respectable Dragy runs of low 12 second quarter mile and low 4 second 0-60 times. He also tuned my big turbo Fiesta back when I had that. The guy who I sold it to switched to a different well-known tuner (who I won't name) and blew it up within a year. Never had a problem with my vehicle and I've had a Monster Tuned vehicle for a total of 3-4 years, so lots of time was spent season after season of thorough testing. Also not the first tuning company I've used.

Not really sure why nasty call outs are being made. It's encouraged for people to share their experiences both good and bad that way we can make well-informed purchasing decisions. We also have the opportunity for hard working small-business owners to get their names out, which is always a good thing.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
It would be interesting to see some dragy results to compare performance.
Yep, actual objective data is always more effective. Well, if you’re interested in the performance vs “feels”.

You can change the pedal/ETC response curve, and nothing else, and make a vehicle subjectively feel quicker, but an objective performance test will show the same numbers.

Certainly not downing the Monster Tune, just stating the facts for the “feels” folks. Others will see it as redundant.

monstertuned

Vendor
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Yep, actual objective data is always more effective. Well, if you’re interested in the performance vs “feels”.

You can change the pedal/ETC response curve, and nothing else, and make a vehicle subjectively feel quicker, but an objective performance test will show the same numbers.

Certainly not downing the Monster Tune, just stating the facts for the “feels” folks. Others will see it as redundant.
Sport mode already does that, APP is 100% stock un-touched. This is not a "feel" tune"

Our tunes drive like stock until the gas pedal is 90% (wot operation). Only past 90% pedal position do we allow higher than stock torque requests.

Stock feel during non-wot operation is on the product page of all Adapt-X tunes and people prefer it that way for their daily driving.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have been meaning to post more of a review on our experience with the Adapt-X as well, but time keeps getting away from me.

First, I have had it on the stock tune recently. I have some unrelated dealer work going on and it was easier to leave it off for a week or two with multiple visits vs re-flashing each time. My wife has already asked when is it going to be tuned again, "as it drives so much better".

For us the adapt-x was intriguing, as 93 is hard to find locally -- only one gas station in my city has it. So being able to swap to a 91 on the fly and not worry was ideal for travel in our area.

I have had more "traditional" tunes in the past with the back and forth with the tuner, but being this was a daily shared with my wife I did not want to have to deal with that. The adapt-x has worked as promised and I knew we were not going to do major engine upgrades, everything they listed as compatible worked for us (plugs, catback exhaust, intercooler, K&N, etc)

So after taking the gamble and ordering, we have been very happy. The response times to questions before and after the sale have been amazing!

Originally we were running a 91 E0 (the most prevalent premium fuel in our area) pretune and on the initial install. After reviewing the dragy results with Monster, they highly recommended a 93 E10. Once we found a gas station near us offering 93 its been a significant improvement in performance. I have not had a chance to run it since our IC install and I am looking forward to those results now as well.

I can say this is not a feel tune. I will need to make some new dragy runs, I swapped my phone over to a different OS and didnt save past results. Interestingly, I also seem to get slightly better MPG with the tune. I just took a trip with the stock tune and a few weeks earlier took almost the same roads, stock tune resulted in 2 MPG less than last trip I logged. Could be a one off, time will tell next time I run it with the tune.

For us it was the right tune so far, but each driver has their own specific needs and wants.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Nice, the more tuner the better honestly.

Wish @monstertuned nothing but the best!