Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Missed Shift??!?

Reactions
2020 ST in Sport Mode with TC Off

I was going around 75 when I changed lanes and hit the gas to pass someone... All the sudden it felt like the engine was revving in Neutral and I was losing speed/no acceleration. I backed off the gas and tapped it again lightly and I want to say it revved again. I checked that I was still in Drive and I was. I then backed off again then accelerated slowly with no issues. No warning messages and immediate attempts to replicate failed.

I am sure it could be my fault somehow but I don't know how I could have put it in neutral or anything else that should cause the issue.

Any info welcome!

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
2020 ST in Sport Mode with TC Off

I was going around 75 when I changed lanes and hit the gas to pass someone... All the sudden it felt like the engine was revving in Neutral and I was losing speed/no acceleration. I backed off the gas and tapped it again lightly and I want to say it revved again. I checked that I was still in Drive and I was. I then backed off again then accelerated slowly with no issues. No warning messages and immediate attempts to replicate failed.
Are you tuned/modified? Sure you didn't hit the rev limiter? Any previous issues of trans slippage?

OP
D
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Are you tuned/modified? Sure you didn't hit the rev limiter? Any previous issues of trans slippage?
No tune or mods.

Not sure why I would immediately hit the rev limiter from 75mph cruising. I didn't accelerate that hard...

No previous issues I noticed.

Thanks!

Dennis.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Going 75 in CA? It was Gavin Newsom using the back door to remotely control your speed and emission of pollutants. You’re killing our grandchildrens’ planet!!!! :LOL:

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Going 75 in CA? It was Gavin Newsom using the back door to remotely control your speed and emission of pollutants. You’re killing our grandchildrens’ planet!!!! :LOL:
10BA3E91-5C0B-4562-BE25-C05287E6DF63.gif

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
If you look at the link in @Cdubya 's #2 post above, that thread deals with a number of different scenarios in which this same thing has occurred. Not all of them are the same, some where a car is tuned and launching are certainly torque management related, but in the case of those with sharp turns on the steering wheel, let me offer a theory:

Even if you turn off traction control, and advanced traction control, there are still safeguards built into the system. Part of the traction control is triggered from the steering wheel angle sensor. My guess is that this may cause the momentary shutdown of torque when the system's parameters are surpassed. So a very sharp yank on the steering wheel while accelerating such as beating an oncoming driver at a left-turn, or a sharp pull into a passing lane while accelerating might produce this behavior.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Honestly I think these cars just get confused every once in a while. I’ve done exactly what you describe maybe 4 times in 52K miles. Floor it at highway speeds to pass and get the same results as you. The only thing I can see that you can’t…since it’s enabled in my tune is that the trans will show it’s in 1st gear when it happens….almost like it tried to apply the wrong clutch packs, went nuts and then took a short break before going back to normal. lol

OP
D
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Now this part could have been all in my head, but in the instant it happened I feel like I saw the tach or something on the dash was fully lit up in orange/red/black lines...

Appreciate all the replies and good to know I'm not completely crazy!

Dennis.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I had this happen to me when we went to ST Driving Week in Park City while running the slalom course. Put the pedal to the floor, no response. It wasn't my best time of the day.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Same thing happened to ours on 2 occasions and on one of them it displayed Shift System Fault. Both times were going down the highway and needed to pass someone, went full revs and heard a sound like a coffee can full of rocks and felt it in our floorboard.
It was at the dealer for almost a month and had the Valve Body Separator Plate replaced. The sound really sounded like a park pawl grinding, if you threw your car in park while moving. It only made that sound on the episode that displayed the Shift System message. Just got it back last night and seemed to be doing fine. They of course didn't do the rear camera recall, because the fix doesn't work.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Same thing has happened to me. Like @UNBROKEN , I can see what gear I am in and it actually went through a crazy loop (like 9-10-4-5) then back to normal. Scary when it happens. I have noticed that it happens when I start to jump, momentarily back off (because the car in front doesn't move like I expected), then hit it again. Maybe that brief stutter causes it.