Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Mishimoto Wants your Input about Intakes!

Would you purchase a performance intake kit if offered?

• Yes, definitely

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 32 53.3%
  • No, I’m not going to upgrade my intake

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • No, I’ll probably change my intake, but not with this Mishimoto one

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • No, I already changed my intake and am happy with it

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • No, I already own an intake, but with I would have waited for the Mishimoto intake

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
Hello ExplorerST.org!

Nick here from Mishimoto! I'm kicking off this thread primarily to gauge interest in performance intake upgrades for your Explorers. As we dove more into this platform we noted that the factory air intake system is a choke point for those looking for better performance from their sport-oriented SUV. After some preliminary testing, we found that the inlet pipes are the largest source of restriction in the 3.0 EcoBoost's system, so we're looking at a full makeover for the intake.

Our design would include the following:

• Revised Airbox
  • Dual Filtration
  • Two high-flow inlet pipes all the way to turbos
  • Expanded cast turbo snout on passenger-side
  • Pricing approximately between $575-$700 for the full kit
What we need before we start on this project is your interest! Let us know in the poll if this is something that you'd be interested in seeing from us!

-Nick

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
And how would this be any different from the Afe intake? Shouldn't you finish up the intercooler kit first?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
@TMac is right. I think it would be great to see more parts of every kind available for this platform, and (even though the engine bays are different) I'm sure the upcoming Bronco and Ranger Raptors will lead to even more demand for 3.0EB parts. You should definitely benchmark the AFE intake. Tuner extraordinaire @ZFGracing said it's a big improvement, so what you come out with needs to either outflow it, look better, or be cheaper.

And also, we'd love to see the intercooler finished. Looking forward to a Mishimoto vs Whipple comparo.

OP
Mishimoto
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
And how would this be any different from the Afe intake? Shouldn't you finish up the intercooler kit first?
Great question, but that's tough to answer at this stage since we haven't fully dove in just yet. We'll have plenty more info if we decide to kick off this project!

Also, thanks to our ever-growing engineering team, we're able to multitask on a lot of these projects ;) We're coming up close on the intercooler presale now, and Mitch recorded TONS of data from our testing phase.

-Nick

OP
Mishimoto
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to bump this up for a follow-up question:

For those who voted maybe, what would be the contributing factor to sway your decision in either direction?

-Nick

Reactions
Hey Guys,

For those who voted maybe, what would be the contributing factor to sway your decision in either direction?

-Nick
Pricing and looks is a huge deciding factor for me

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
@Mishimoto I said maybe. I already have an AFE intake, which I like very much. But all car parts are about looks, performance, and cost. As I already have a new intake, if yours outperforms the AFE (tested by a trusted 3rd party like @ZFGracing) and / or looks better then I'd be swayed to replace with yours.

If I was stock, I'd still be comparing to the AFE option, but if it didn't perform as well but either looked better and was cheaper, then I'm sure people will go to yours.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I agree with others. Looks - performance and cost in that order for me. I dont care about 5 more HP if it looks like poop but it also has to be on par performance wise. Then cost will make or brake the deal depending on the first 2 things.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer st
Proven performance gains and data is what will sell yours over the competition. Show a side by side comparision between the AFE and yours.

Also, show a side by side with the whipple I/C as well.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Hey Guys,

-Nick
Mishimoto actually gets a product on the market.

This will no doubt sound rude but there isn't really another way to say it. The market has waited for the longest time to see your intercooler hit the shelves. People will only wait for so long before going elsewhere. Is that what should be expected with the CAI?

By the time that product hits the market the chance of you being the 800 lb. Gorilla (must-have product) diminishes greatly.

Concerning the intercooler, seriously that's what you guys do and it still isn't here. I find that astonishing and I know the usual response is we want to make sure it's right. Well... uhhh... yeah, but once again, that's what you guys do. Mishimoto should be embarrassed on this one.

Is this just in the market research phase? How long should your potential customers wait once it's mentioned?

If the CAI takes anywhere near as long to develop as the intercooler, I'd simply say never mind.

Reactions
I really wanted the mishimoto intercooler but couldn't wait any longer. Had to buy what was already on the market. If you get this out and it performs as good as the AFE/FenFab options available now there will be buyers. You guys make great stuff!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Have to agree with what others have said, I’d be interested but the lead time from a potential product to an actual product makes me worry. There are just too many other options readily available. I bought the oil catch can that you make and it’s obvious from that product that Mishimoto makes a quality product but if I had bought an ST earlier than I did, I would have gone elsewhere for that. I’m getting to be in the same position as @nzaf985 was with the intercooler. I had great interest in what Mishimoto was putting together but the delay in it coming to market has cooled that interest significantly. Again, there are other readily available options which makes waiting (regardless of the quality of your product) seem like a fool’s errand.

Reactions
If you're going to be 3rd or 4th option to market, you have to be better or cheaper than the rest or you are wasting your time.

OP
Mishimoto
Reactions
Thread Starter #14
Hey Guys!

Thanks so much for the feedback! We're always working on improving our processes to bring our products to market quicker.

I'll be sure to keep you guys updated on our intercooler (I'm bumping that thread right after this one) and our intake if we do move forward with that

Thanks again, guys!

-Nick

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Off topic- I’m really liking my Mishimoto catch can. It’s simple and high quality. The price was reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UWN

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
My opinion here but it takes a lot of R&D when getting products to market. I'd love for you guys to continue to develop for this platform. There are a lot of behind the scenes, people don't understand when getting aftermarket products to the public... that being said to be honest, looks is pretty high on the list of wants out of this system. I know R&D will be done to get gains, airflow, etc. The AFE system just does not look good in my opinion, for that reason alone I don't think I'd get it. Being new to this platform, Im not sure if you can keep the turbo inlets separate to each turbo or if that would be beneficial with testing or not. I would love for you to push with this product. Please keep us informed.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
@Mishimoto - Any update on the intake? Maybe show us some design? I already have the aFe intake but more options is always a good thing! I'm definitely interested.

Thanks!

OP
Mishimoto
Reactions
Thread Starter #20
@Mishimoto - Any update on the intake? Maybe show us some design? I already have the aFe intake but more options is always a good thing! I'm definitely interested.

Thanks!

Thanks for the interest! At the moment, we still haven't fully determined our direction on this concept, but we should have more info soon!

-Nick