Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Mirror phone to vertical Infotainment screen (Not Carplay)

KegsBdry

Reactions
Our smartphones are vertically based. And so is the Explorers with the technology package; which includes the vertical infotainment screen.

Without dumbing your phone down to simple Carplay use. Why can't we mirror our entire phone to the screen and use all the apps/options available?

Has anyone talked about this on the forum yet or is it even possible?

It is illegal in some states to talk on the phone when it's in your hand. I think it's a work around if you're interacting with your infotainment instead.

A full-screen Waze would be nice...and so many more possibilities.

Reactions
You cannot mirror your entire phone but you can connect it via Bluetooth and use your phone hands free for calls, texts, music etc.. Of course, you will Not get Apple Maps, Waze etc. via Bluetooth connection

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
You cannot mirror your entire phone but you can connect it via Bluetooth and use your phone hands free for calls, texts, music etc.. Of course, you will Not get Apple Maps, Waze etc. via Bluetooth connection
Bluetooth is a hit or a miss with my ST.

Why are car companies spending so much money to reinvent the infotainment system? Everyone carries a smartphone and has all the things they need in it? Build an app, sync entire phone to screen. Why is it so hard? Think of the money they would save.

Reactions
Bluetooth is a hit or a miss with my ST.

Why are car companies spending so much money to reinvent the infotainment system? Everyone carries a smartphone and has all the things they need in it? Build an app, sync entire phone to screen. Why is it so hard? Think of the money they would save.
Yeah, as far I know none of the manufacturer does anything to mirror the entire phone. If you want carplay to work without actually connecting your device via USB and now be able to access it, then you can take a look at this. Lot of good reviews. But again, this is Not going to mirror the entire phone. This is just carplay without having to plug in your phone everytime.

https://cplay2air.com/

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Yeah, as far I know none of the manufacturer does anything to mirror the entire phone. If you want carplay to work without actually connecting your device via USB and now be able to access it, then you can take a look at this. Lot of good reviews. But again, this is Not going to mirror the entire phone. This is just carplay without having to plug in your phone everytime.

https://cplay2air.com/
I was looking at that. But I'm happy with my phone charging while I drive. And with Bluetooth already spotty, I'm looking for it just to work at this point. No need to further complicate things.

I'm having flashbacks of the sync issues from my focus st now. It's all coming back to me.

I miss Dodge's simplistic interface. It wasn't as techie as this Ford's interface but it freaking worked! Didn't think that would have to be a requirement of mine on a vehicle, I shouldn't assume anything anymore. But a great interface is key in my next vehicle.

Reactions
I was looking at that. But I'm happy with my phone charging while I drive. And with Bluetooth already spotty, I'm looking for it just to work at this point. No need to further complicate things.

I'm having flashbacks of the sync issues from my focus st now. It's all coming back to me.

I miss Dodge's simplistic interface. It wasn't as techie as this Ford's interface but it freaking worked! Didn't think that would have to be a requirement of mine on a vehicle, I shouldn't assume anything anymore. But a great interface is key in my next vehicle.
Sorry if you already answered this, do you have the latest sync update? Because my bluetooth works flawlessly. It connect automatically when I start the car and plays music, calls etc. So there should Not be a patchy bluetooth connection. And you can use the wireless charging pad to charge your phone while you are driving and eliminate the cable.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Sorry if you already answered this, do you have the latest sync update? Because my bluetooth works flawlessly. It connect automatically when I start the car and plays music, calls etc. So there should Not be a patchy bluetooth connection. And you can use the wireless charging pad to charge your phone while you are driving and eliminate the cable.
I've had to go into the dealership to get the latest update a few months ago. But now, I can recover updates. It is at the latest build number.

Bluetooth calls aren't 100% in my ST. The wired CarPlay seems to help. And my phone is too big to fit in the wireless charger.

Reactions
I remember seeing a video on youtube that had what you're looking for... For the life of me I cannot remember anything about it, other than it was for Chrysler cars, the video, not just the product. And, I think it might have only been for android. I'll take a quick look and see if I can find it...

Reactions
I have zero idea if this actually work or anything about it. They do have something for the 2021 explorer... I would do more research if this is something you're interested in...

https://naviks.com/

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #10
I have zero idea if this actually work or anything about it. They do have something for the 2021 explorer... I would do more research if this is something you're interested in...

https://naviks.com/
I'll take a look. Luckily, I am rocking an Android. Thanks for the find!

Reactions

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
This was in my inbox the other day. It's is cheap, at under $100, and if it works, should be pretty cool. I ordered one, so I hope it works...
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/..._link&utm_medium=email&utm_source=lifecycle#/

It says it work through android auto, or something like that... The explorer has carplay and android auto, yes?
Joe_Breezyjr
I'd sure be interested in hearing you report back on this when you get it.

If it works like they say, that will be very cool.

Jim

Reactions
Currently they is an app called CarBridge that allows you to mirror your phone to work on your car's tablet.

The downside to this is the following:
Only works on iPhones
iPhone needs to be jailbroken (which in itself can be very frustrating and time consuming)
Many video apps are still DRM protected which will NOT allow them to play via airplay. ie. Disney, Netflix, Hulu, Prime
Apps that do work are: Youtube, NBA, IPTV (is what I use it for mostly), Waze, Youtube Music, Apple Music

The developer made it possible on ios12 to use Carbridge fully as an app where you could pick and choose which icons/apps you wanted on your car screen. Whereas ios13 lite is just a mirror image of your phone. Still works like it should but nothing has been updated recently since. The dev said that apple made a huge script/code change from ios12 to ios13 and that carbridge needed to be re-written from scratch, but just as fast as he was doing it, ios14 came out. So no new updates since.

Carbrige app info here

Hopefully that answers your initial question. Personally, I'd love it if someone would create a legit app without the need to jailbreak but I have a funny feeling, these apps are never going to be approved because of the safety concern behind them. Watching an exciting football or baseball game on the road has its pros and cons trust me. Also, if it was something that got put forward, most car companies would follow Tesla's lead and allow Netflix movies while driving. But there's also reasons why Tesla is the only one doing it..

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Not yet. Lol. I do get consistent updates though. Covid has screwed everything up I guess.
looks interesting can you get just one?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I ordered just one, I think.
there are some others on the market that are similar. There is a thread here by me that has a link to the product.
thank you