Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Miracle My Engine Didn't Blow Up

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
These are just my observations: Unless you bought the one-in-a-million plug that was bad, I attribute the first bad plug to detonation which will definitely give off misfire codes even though technically the engine didn't misfire. Assuming that to be the case, you're looking at bad fueling or bad fuel (which you considered). Since you're also getting misfires on both banks, the thought that all of those plugs/coils going bad at once is highly unlikely. That would return me back to detonation, and all the various bad things that happen there born out by the fact that at low load you didn't see any problems. For the cause, I'd look at the most likely culprit being the fuel or the aftermarket fuel system.

OP
D
Reactions
Thread Starter #22
Ya which sucks because I am already on my second set of injectors. First set failed 8 months ago. But I'll do my due diligence before jumping to any conclusions.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I think you've answered your own question.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
It certainly may be exactly like @TMac has said and is a repeat of what has already happened. I wouldn't however rule out that something else has gone south as a result of those pieces going through the first time around.

OP
D
Reactions
Thread Starter #25
It certainly may be exactly like @TMac has said and is a repeat of what has already happened. I wouldn't however rule out that something else has gone south as a result of those pieces going through the first time around.
I'll be scoping each cylinder, especially #5 where the original plug disintegrated.

OP
D
Reactions
Thread Starter #26
I broke this nipple off. And even better I dropped it below when I removed it from the clip. Anyone have any experience fixing a nipple like this? Or what the FoMoCo part number is for this charge pipe? Thanks.

Attachments

OP
D
Reactions
Thread Starter #27
Next challenge, I want to rule out bad gas, I bought a bi directional scanner but it didn't have the fuel pump option. Is there any other way to turn the pump on to drain the tank?

OP
D
Reactions
Thread Starter #28
Well I feel I am talking to a wall but all is good now.

Scoped cylinders, all good.

Fixed wastegate vacuum nipple (bored the hole to 1/2" and screwed in a male 6AN to 5/16" SAE nipple, it was a very snug fit and didn't seem to leak but I did put JB weld high psi type around it in addition just to be safe).

Drained tank (sketchiest stuff I've ever done, lots of Home Depot specials making a tee off the low pressure side with a valve that I could open a little while the car was on to dump fuel. Took about 10 minutes to drop ~15 gallons).

Added new E85, runs like a champ.

Lesson... Don't get E85 far away from home, road trips I'll be switching to 93 from now on.

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST PHEV MY22
Well I feel I am talking to a wall but all is good now.

Scoped cylinders, all good.

Fixed wastegate vacuum nipple (bored the hole to 1/2" and screwed in a male 6AN to 5/16" SAE nipple, it was a very snug fit and didn't seem to leak but I did put JB weld high psi type around it in addition just to be safe).

Drained tank (sketchiest stuff I've ever done, lots of Home Depot specials making a tee off the low pressure side with a valve that I could open a little while the car was on to dump fuel. Took about 10 minutes to drop ~15 gallons).

Added new E85, runs like a champ.

Lesson... Don't get E85 far away from home, road trips I'll be switching to 93 from now on.
Glad for you your engine is fine!