Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Mighty Mouse catch can

GORDO

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
22’ ST
I’ve seen a lot of talk about catch cans and none of the ones marketed for ST’s appealed to me. One reason is because I have no first hand experience with them. My previous experience is with forced induction LS and LT motors. I decided to build my can from Mighty Mouse parts because I knew what I was working with.I have done several high HP builds with them over the years. One huge advantage to the Mighty Mouse PVC can is the ability to vent to atmosphere under boost. There are cans that supply vacuum via the intake tube, but unless you have a really restrictive air intake this is going to provide minimal if any vacuum. They also have some very good informational videos and comparison test. I’ve emailed them with my build so hopefully they will offer a kit soon. D2CE2C39-CA3C-400B-A49B-F2CFA65E9B0A.jpeg if you want check them out. https://www.mightymousesolutions.com/catch-cans

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The whole idea of the PCV system is to capture blow-by gasses and recirculate them through the combustion chamber to restrict emissions by re-burning any leftover hydrocarbons. A catch can is installed in order to try to capture any oil that is part of the blow-by to stop it from ending up in the intake manifold. Under boost conditions, we don't need to vent to atmosphere, we merely vent to the intake- this is no different than venting to atmosphere, as no vacuum is being used at that point. A catch can as pictured defeats the whole purpose of reducing the emission of any hydrocarbons by re-burning them. So other than increasing emissions, how is it better?

OP
G

GORDO

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
22’ ST
Thread Starter #3
We
The whole idea of the PCV system is to capture blow-by gasses and recirculate them through the combustion chamber to restrict emissions by re-burning any leftover hydrocarbons. A catch can is installed in order to try to capture any oil that is part of the blow-by to stop it from ending up in the intake manifold. Under boost conditions, we don't need to vent to atmosphere, we merely vent to the intake- this is no different than venting to atmosphere, as no vacuum is being used at that point. A catch can as pictured defeats the whole purpose of reducing the emission of any hydrocarbons by re-burning them. So other than increasing emissions, how is it better?
I am well aware of how a PCV system works. This is a PVC can under normal operating conditions. It only vents to atmosphere if you have an excessive increase in the crankcase under boost.

Last edited:

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Don't get prickly about it! Under vacuum condition, the ST PCV system draws blow-by into the intake manifold where it can be re-burnt. Under boost, it draws it into the air filter housing where the gasses are also re-burnt. A system that vents to the atmosphere completely defeats the PCV system intent.