Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Mid/Flex Pipe Rattling

Reactions
I thought I recall seeing a thread about this on the forum. Were other ST owners getting a rattle from what sounds to me like the OEM mid/flex pipes after replacing their cat back and downpipes? The rattle didn't occur after the install but instead started happing in the last week or two when the weather started dropping below freezing here in Michigan. I cannot find the thread but I swore someone mentioned replacing the mid/flex pipes solves this rattle. anyone have input or a link to that thread they could help me out witth?

OP
Chrisicle
Reactions
Thread Starter #2
Okay, so I did confirm it is my flex pipe rattling on my passenger side. I don’t feel like spend $400 for the aftermarket mid pipes any suggestion to stop the rattle?

also I noticed there is some exhaust leaking from the between the connection of the mid pipes and down pipes, I have the clamp as tight as it can go. Is there anything sealant I can put between the two pipes to stop the leak? (Like a high temp caulk)

Reactions
Okay, so I did confirm it is my flex pipe rattling on my passenger side. I don’t feel like spend $400 for the aftermarket mid pipes any suggestion to stop the rattle?

also I noticed there is some exhaust leaking from the between the connection of the mid pipes and down pipes, I have the clamp as tight as it can go. Is there anything sealant I can put between the two pipes to stop the leak? (Like a high temp caulk)
Most auto parts stores near me carry a couple of different pastes for exhaust leaks. Google exhaust paste or exhaust glue or search those terms on a parts store.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...&product_channel=online&store_code=&gclsrc=ds

OP
Chrisicle
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Does it make sense to just cut off the flex pipe and clamp or weld a section in? Because if so I can just do that. I want my exhaust to look nice but I also haven’t found a shop that can bend pipe without putting kinks in it. I don’t want that to be a bottleneck down the road when I get all my parts on and am ready for the tune.

Askarrel

911 Dispatcher
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Does it make sense to just cut off the flex pipe and clamp or weld a section in? Because if so I can just do that. I want my exhaust to look nice but I also haven’t found a shop that can bend pipe without putting kinks in it. I don’t want that to be a bottleneck down the road when I get all my parts on and am ready for the tune.
I did that, It was rattling after the first month and then i put a new exhaust on and i thought that would fix it but it made it worse so i cut them off and welded a new piece in. Its been working fine ever since.

OP
Chrisicle
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
I did that, It was rattling after the first month and then i put a new exhaust on and i thought that would fix it but it made it worse so i cut them off and welded a new piece in. Its been working fine ever since.
Did you go with another flex pipe or a rigid pipe in its place?

Askarrel

911 Dispatcher
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Did you go with another flex pipe or a rigid pipe in its place?
Yea I had someone at my local ford look at it and he said if your not happy with the "ford fix" of pipe clamps, you can just replace it with a rigid pipe. I do have a custom cat-back exhaust though so that was the main reason why i did it.

OP
Chrisicle
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
Yea I had someone at my local ford look at it and he said if your not happy with the "ford fix" of pipe clamps, you can just replace it with a rigid pipe. I do have a custom cat-back exhaust though so that was the main reason why i did it.
Just welded on the straight pipe and noticed I’m now getting some drone while my car is at idle, there’s also a fair amount of vibration that I can feel in my feet. Did you experience this with your explorer?

Last edited:

F=MA

Reactions
I do not understand todays Englisho_O.

Askarrel

911 Dispatcher
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Just welded on the straight pipe and noticed I’m now getting some drown while my car is at idle, there’s also a fair amount of vibration that I can feel in my feet. Did you experience this with your explorer?
kinda? I wouldnt know cause of the exhaust i have. I didnt really notiuce a difference with or without the flex pipes

Reactions
Went with thermals full exhaust system and been fine ever since no rattle great tone no drone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk