Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Mechanical Boost Gauge

Reactions
Has anyone mounted a mechanical boost gauge in their 21' + ST? Any pic's from anyone?

I'm more than likely going to add one (Autometer) to the 2025 I have on order. I'm well aware of the P3 digital gauge but I'm tired of electrical $hit that costs a lot and tends to go to hell well ahead of mechanical items.. I'm a fan of less electronics and more mechanical. No one makes a pillar gauge pod for a 21' and up Explorer but I have a few picked out that Autometer offers for other vehicles with a similar profile to current Explorer a-pillar shapes. I'm positive I can find the closest profile matching pod and modify it to perfectly fit and look as factory as possible.

My big assumption right now is that Ford still won't have boost as part of the gauges on the new Explorers and if they do, it will probably only be on a certain screen such as the Sport screen option.. . I want to see boost all the time, especially when towing.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
The “boost” doesn’t really tell you anything. The Actual Load, or Throttle Requested Torque is the only data point(s) that tell you how hard the engine is working and/or how close to the “limit” it is. The boost varies, even at the same Load value, depending on other factors, a primary being barometric pressure.

The ECU never targets a specific boost value, it only cares about the max value allowed.

If you want to monitor something while towing, the Load and Trans oil temp will be the ones telling the tale.