Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

MBRP Exhaust band clamp issue

Electionz

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Just finished installing my new MBRP exhaust on my ‘23 ST. Everything went great, except the next day I could hear a small rattle. Got back under the car tonight and traced it back to where the new exhaust begins and meets the stock exhaust at the flex pipes. Drivers side is able to slide freely due to the fact that the band clamp isn’t getting tight enough, even when torqued past the listed 45 ft lbs in the installation guide.

Any ideas on how to remedy this, besides welding?

Attachments

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Does it look like that band can be compressed further by the bolt? I usually don't use a torque wrench on that--just wrench it as tight as possible or even an impact wrench (within reason). If it's still too loose, you might have to source a slightly smaller clamp. Should be 2.25" if I recall.

OP
E

Electionz

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Does it look like that band can be compressed further by the bolt? I usually don't use a torque wrench on that--just wrench it as tight as possible or even an impact wrench (within reason). If it's still too loose, you might have to source a slightly smaller clamp. Should be 2.25" if I recall.
This clamp is a 2.17” from MBRP. It’s compressed completely unless I take out the small spacer in between. Just got a 2” band clamp from autozone, hopefully that makes a difference.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
That's strange. It should have been just fine. MRT used to have a clamp problem also but I believe they shipped their H-pipes, which hooked up to the midpipes, with 2.5" clamps (too large).

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Put an impact on it and give it the beans.

OP
E

Electionz

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
Put an impact on it and give it the beans.
Ended up swapping the two clamps and now it’s fine. So weird/annoying.