Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

MagnaFlow Muffler/Resonator Swap and Stock Muffler Delete

OP
bonediggitty
Reactions
Thread Starter #21
Mine only really drones above 80mph/125kmph... and in those weird spots in sport mode, where the computer really should let you shift... like 45-51mph in 6th gear.

OP
bonediggitty
Reactions
Thread Starter #22
I was messing around to see what I could do with iMovie for work, and pumped this out... hopefully it inspires others to veer away from the off the shelf cat-backs...

Attachments

Reactions
I was messing around to see what I could do with iMovie for work, and pumped this out... hopefully it inspires others to veer away from the off the shelf cat-backs...
Download doesn't work for me

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

Reactions
It definitely has inspired me, great work!

Reactions
I got quoted $500, to install a Magnaflow dual in dual out, I dont know the part # of the muffler that they have, but I think I'm going to buy Magnaflow 11385, which is a dual in dual out 2.25" resonator muffler that features a internal x-pipe built in. Im also going to purchase dual staggered black 4" tips. So, basically, setup will be similar to Corsa's system, where the only muffler is the front, and straight pipe from there, with dual tips. I also read somewhere that Magnaflow is working on a catback system. Once my system is installed, I'll post video amd sound clips from different perspectives.
is that the correct inlet ?

OP
bonediggitty
Reactions
Thread Starter #26
Download doesn't work for me
I uploaded the video as an unlisted YouTube video. When I tested the link it seems like there is some distortion or clipping going on, but that may be related to connection. Here you go:

Last edited:
Reactions
I asked a local shop about installing the Borla s-type for me, they also recommended they could build a custom system with the Magnaflow for half the price, what would be the major diff between that and a Borla system? Is there anything I'm missing that the Borla would have and the custom would not? It doesn't affect the cat converter does it?

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
I asked a local shop about installing the Borla s-type for me, they also recommended they could build a custom system with the Magnaflow for half the price, what would be the major diff between that and a Borla system? Is there anything I'm missing that the Borla would have and the custom would not? It doesn't affect the cat converter does it?
Really I think there are two major differences: 1) They would be cutting and welding your exhaust. If you never plan to return to stock then this isn't a big deal. But to me, personally, it is. 2) Exhaust note. The Borla system was designed with the ST in mind. The Magnaflow is most likely an off the shelf item that was not designed with any specific vehicle in mind, so the exhaust note could be great or terrible, really no way of knowing until you hear it. Really it is a matter of personal preference and ultimately it is up to you.

Reactions
Really I think there are two major differences: 1) They would be cutting and welding your exhaust. If you never plan to return to stock then this isn't a big deal. But to me, personally, it is. 2) Exhaust note. The Borla system was designed with the ST in mind. The Magnaflow is most likely an off the shelf item that was not designed with any specific vehicle in mind, so the exhaust note could be great or terrible, really no way of knowing until you hear it. Really it is a matter of personal preference and ultimately it is up to you.
Thanks for the reply, I'm not concerned with returning to stock, mostly concerned that the performance would be the same or better than the Borla. The custom system would be most likely 2.5 or 3" as opposed to 2.25" with the Borla. I'm not super picky on the exact sound but def don't want to hear a drone the whole time I'm driving.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Thanks for the reply, I'm not concerned with returning to stock, mostly concerned that the performance would be the same or better than the Borla. The custom system would be most likely 2.5 or 3" as opposed to 2.25" with the Borla. I'm not super picky on the exact sound but def don't want to hear a drone the whole time I'm driving.
Drone is a huge concern for me as well. There is some sound deadening type stuff you can do as well, but that requires pulling out spare tires and carpeting. In my experience (with mustangs) drone doesn't seem to be much of an issue unless you remove the cats.

OP
bonediggitty
Reactions
Thread Starter #31
Mine only really drones above 80mph/125kmph... and in those weird spots in sport mode, where the computer really should let you shift... like 45-51mph in 6th gear.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There’s not much drone deleting the mufflers and swapping a magnaflow Muffler into the stock resonator location. Add an x pipe prior and you’d probably have a better flowing setup than the Borla. Drive it around. Have them install a couple resonators if it’s too loud. It will still be cheaper than Borla.

My setup sounds so similar to a friend’s ST with the Borla ATAK.

Reactions
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There’s not much drone deleting the mufflers and swapping a magnaflow Muffler into the stock resonator location. Add an x pipe prior and you’d probably have a better flowing setup than the Borla. Drive it around. Have them install a couple resonators if it’s too loud. It will still be cheaper than Borla.

My setup sounds so similar to a friend’s ST with the Borla ATAK.
They guy at the shop was saying he would delete the stock mufflers and replace the factory resonator with a Magnaflow x-pipe, he said he would still keep a lot of the existing pipe since it's stainless and expensive but he still wanted $850 to do it. You think that would sound and perform similar to the Borla S-type?

OP
bonediggitty
Reactions
Thread Starter #33
They guy at the shop was saying he would delete the stock mufflers and replace the factory resonator with a Magnaflow x-pipe, he said he would still keep a lot of the existing pipe since it's stainless and expensive but he still wanted $850 to do it. You think that would sound and perform similar to the Borla S-type?
It will probably sound somewhere between the S and the ATAK. Maybe a bit more like the ATAK.

You basically described my setup. I spent $450 I would pay $500 for what you described. I think much more than that would be excessive.

Reactions
It will probably sound somewhere between the S and the ATAK. Maybe a bit more like the ATAK.

You basically described my setup. I spent $450 I would pay $500 for what you described. I think much more than that would be excessive.
I thought it seemed high as well, but 3 diff shops all quoted $800 or higher, I think services are just more expensive in Colorado.

rjhodder

Reactions
I uploaded the video as an unlisted YouTube video. When I tested the link it seems like there is some distortion or clipping going on, but that may be related to connection. Here you go:

Sounds very close to what I'd want. I'm not looking for V8 or race car, just a nice tone. The stock is just so 'stock'.

OP
bonediggitty
Reactions
Thread Starter #36
I'm not kidding when I say buddies referred to it as a vacuum.... Bleh... It's not a racecar, but now it sounds refined enough to turn a couple heads.

OP
bonediggitty
Reactions
Thread Starter #37
I know folks know, but some don't.... I hope you're not going to the swanky speed shops on the nice end of town, looking for a bargain. You need to find a decent shop in a vaguely questionable part of town, where the owner and/or his family still do the work, run paper invoices, and might only have 1-2 lifts... $800 sounds crazy unless you're paying in Canadian dollars. :p

Reactions
I know folks know, but some don't.... I hope you're not going to the swanky speed shops on the nice end of town, looking for a bargain. You need to find a decent shop in a vaguely questionable part of town, where the owner and/or his family still do the work, run paper invoices, and might only have 1-2 lifts... $800 sounds crazy unless you're paying in Canadian dollars. :p
This wasn't a swanky shop at all, shop looked old, the owner was probably in his late 50's and his wife ran the phones, didn't even see computer in the one chair waiting area, and it was USD, the first quote came from a similar type shop. Maybe I need to check out a big box shop like Midas, or wait for a Thermals system.

Reactions