Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Lumbar setting drif?

PandaST

Reactions
Have an issue that’s slowly driving me crazy, wondering if anyone else is experiencing it… my 3 lumber settings (especially the middle one) refuse to stay put. I’ll adjust it the way I want it, then the next day the middle lumbar will be several notches higher so I have to reduce it again. Not sure if it’s due to pressure changes outside but it’s getting very annoying. Of course when I took it to the dealer I got the usual “couldn’t replicate problem”.

Anyone else experiencing this? I’m getting close to point on where I need to decide if I’m going to pony up for extended warranty or look for another vehicle due to irritations like this (my Sync also goes crazy sometimes like a ghost is navigating the screen). This ST is so fun to drive I hate the idea of downgrading to a Pilot or something, but at some point everyday convenience trumps speed for me!

Appreciate any help.

l1tech

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
I stopped using the lumbar for this very reason. Mine never changed notches on the display but I'm comfortable enough in the seat the way it normally is so its not a big deal. I would set mine to where I liked it but once I got out and back in the air bladders would never conform to how they were unless I deflated everything and then started over. Poor design if you ask me. The ones in my BMW are legit, they always feel the same and you dam near get too comfortable driving it.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Have you tried doing a master reset? It might help.

OP
P

PandaST

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
I stopped using the lumbar for this very reason. Mine never changed notches on the display but I'm comfortable enough in the seat the way it normally is so its not a big deal. I would set mine to where I liked it but once I got out and back in the air bladders would never conform to how they were unless I deflated everything and then started over. Poor design if you ask me. The ones in my BMW are legit, they always feel the same and you dam near get too comfortable driving it.
Agreed on poor design part. Taunting me with the BMW comment though, I’m already pining over those X5’s!

Have you tried doing a master reset? It might help.
The dealer re-flashed Sync to see if it would fix the other issue (it didn’t), would that be considered a master reset? Until now my assumption was the problem is something physical with the bladders, didn’t consider software.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Well it's an air bladder. It's probably never going to hold settings indefinitely. I check for codes randomly and noticed sometimes communication is lost to the various systems, including the seats. Maybe that's what's going on?

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The dealer re-flashed Sync to see if it would fix the other issue (it didn’t), would that be considered a master reset? Until now my assumption was the problem is something physical with the bladders, didn’t consider software.[/QUOTE]

That might be the same as a master reset. To do one it is under the setting on your touch screen. Last one at the bottom is I remember right. Not sure if it will do a thing, just reaching for straws here. Good luck.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
Just checking to make sure you know the lumbar settings are part of the driver memory seat settings. Lumbar settings can be locked in for three different drivers. Sorry if you are already doing this, but just making sure.

OP
P

PandaST

Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Just checking to make sure you know the lumbar settings are part of the driver memory seat settings. Lumbar settings can be locked in for three different drivers. Sorry if you are already doing this, but just making sure.
Yep, I checked that. It happens when it’s just me driving and using my setting. Thanks!

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
I don’t use memory on my seat settings. I just set it to where it’s comfortable. And yet after a few times of driving the vehicle I’ll start to notice that my back hurts and I’ll decide to check the lumbar settings and will see that they have all resulted either back to zero or close to it. Never goes up, only down. I’m not a fat dude but I am tall and have a bad back and need good lumbar. But nevertheless I don’t care if they’re air bladders, the vehicle obviously recognizes the setting so if it decreases on its own why doesn’t it just inflate to where the user had it initially? I’ve taken to the dealer already and they said they reset something in the seat and charged me money for it but it didn’t fix anything. I also hate how you can feel the air bladders pop out everytime you lean forward. You can hear it AND feel it. It’s a very annoying nuisance. But not nearly as much as the fact that my f’n back starts to hurt before I realize I need to set the lumbar again.

This car continues to disappoint. It has a long list of positives and negatives. Which is rather annoying. I’d prefer a short list of negatives over a long list. It seems so many people have the conundrum. Looks like I might just have to buy a lumbar attachment for my seat. Which I SHOULD NOT have to do for a $50+ thousand SUV that came with the premium seat option (401A).