Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Loss of Power

JPSch89

Reactions
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and new to Ford all together. I was driving my ST today (2,200 miles) and it lost a ton of power - I would put the pedal to the floor and the car would barely move. Around the same time, a warning light popped up for low fuel - I assumed this was some type of safety override that limits power while low on fuel, but I refueled the vehicle and I was still experiencing the same loss of power. Normally it's very responsive when I step on the pedal, but this is a drastic decrease.

I shut it off after refueling and then took it for a drive a while later and the issue persisted.

Is this something anyone else has experienced?

Winfire4

Reactions
I have experienced this twice now on my new 2021 ST. Just like yours, I have a little over 2K miles and the issue comes and goes. Car will barely accelerate for a day or 2 then power eventually starts to come back. No error codes or warning lights. It seems several others are experiencing this as well.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I have experienced this twice now on my new 2021 ST. Just like yours, I have a little over 2K miles and the issue comes and goes. Car will barely accelerate for a day or 2 then power eventually starts to come back. No error codes or warning lights. It seems several others are experiencing this as well.
Posting in multiple threads isn't going to help you. The turbos are controlled by the ECU, so either you have a problem that the ECU sees as reason to limit boost and yet is not important enough to trigger a CEL, (intermittent sensor out-of-range, or protective- like trying to accelerate with a completely cold engine), or there is an electrical gremlin. In either case, if no CEL is lit, then there is likely still a code or three that can be pulled to help diagnose the problem. In either case, even if someone told you it was the wuzabajebit, what would you do to correct it? Take it to Ford. Another suggestion is to PM the three OPs whose threads you posted to and ask what their dealer did to remedy the situation. The only one that I remember from back in history (and it may not be the same issue) was a wiring problem that Ford eventually diagnosed.

Reactions
Posting in multiple threads isn't going to help you. The turbos are controlled by the ECU, so either you have a problem that the ECU sees as reason to limit boost and yet is not important enough to trigger a CEL, (intermittent sensor out-of-range, or protective- like trying to accelerate with a completely cold engine), or there is an electrical gremlin. In either case, if no CEL is lit, then there is likely still a code or three that can be pulled to help diagnose the problem. In either case, even if someone told you it was the wuzabajebit, what would you do to correct it? Take it to Ford. Another suggestion is to PM the three OPs whose threads you posted to and ask what their dealer did to remedy the situation. The only one that I remember from back in history (and it may not be the same issue) was a wiring problem that Ford eventually diagnosed.
Had the same thing happen to me a little while ago and now I don’t seem to be building any boost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I just had this exact thing happen the other day. We had a couple really hot a humid days and commuting to and from work it felt like the ST had no power (not building boost). Power cycling the vehicle didn't solve it and after it still being an issue on the third day (and the Ford dealership telling me they are understaffed and couldnt get me in to plug it in to capture some data) I decided to takeatter into my own hands. I decided the disconnect the batter for a little while while working in the shop, came back 20 mins later hooked everything back up and bam, the ST was building boost again and drove just like it always has. I will note I had no warnings of lights on the dash, just no power. Hope this helps the next person having this issue, gotta turn the computer on wheels off and on again

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
With 3k on the odo this happened to me a few times, with no warning lights of any kind. It occurred for only a second, and immediately returned to normal.

Reactions
I had it happen not too long ago and ran a datalog. Turns out it was bad gas and the vehicle was protecting itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I had it happen not too long ago and ran a datalog. Turns out it was bad gas and the vehicle was protecting itself.
What does the computer do when it senses it only has 3 bolts? Pull over to the side of the road and put itself in Park? haha

Dr Duey

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer platinum
So i have a 2021 ford explorer platinum with the blue screen broken nav bullshit.. but the latest gremilin is the turbos not working ... one day you will have the go go juice the next its about as fast a ford focus.. wait a day then they are back on.. Ford can't find the issue they are calling ford engineering ... anyone else have this?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
So i have a 2021 ford explorer platinum with the blue screen broken nav bullshit.. but the latest gremilin is the turbos not working ... one day you will have the go go juice the next its about as fast a ford focus.. wait a day then they are back on.. Ford can't find the issue they are calling ford engineering ... anyone else have this?
The turbos are a mechanical device- they just don't stop working. Most likely it is the wastegates. There is either an electrical issue, a vacuum issue, or the ECU has just decided to hold them open for some other reason related to engine preservation.