Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Looking for an Exhaust setup...

Reactions
Vehicle
20' Explorer ST
Hey all!
I love this ST... I'm trying to get some more sound out of it. Is there a setup that I can use that doesn't drone as much?
In my Corvette; I have long tube headers and exhaust, and the drone is unbearable for longer than an hour or so.

I do like the sound clips of the S-Type Borla, but it's $1700 + install.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Thermal R&D 2.5 is the best choice. Corsa is a very close second. Thermal 2.5 is a too quite for some people, in that case Corsa is the next best one.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I was super happy with my Gibson axle back. Had a deep tone that wasn’t obnoxious when you’d get on it, and it didn’t have any drone. Also one of the cheapest options out there.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hey all!
I love this ST... I'm trying to get some more sound out of it. Is there a setup that I can use that doesn't drone as much?
In my Corvette; I have long tube headers and exhaust, and the drone is unbearable for longer than an hour or so.

I do like the sound clips of the S-Type Borla, but it's $1700 + install.
I have the Borla S-Type and has zero drone.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Even in Normal/Sport mode?
The drive modes do not change the exhaust note as it is not an active exhaust. Same tone and no drone in every mode.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The Thermal 2.5 may not be as loud with stock downpipes but I found it obnoxious with CVF downpipes. Had it on for a month and took it off.

A quarter wave resonator will resolve drone if you take the time to figure out the frequency.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
I was super happy with my Gibson axle back. Had a deep tone that wasn’t obnoxious when you’d get on it, and it didn’t have any drone. Also one of the cheapest options out there.
I also have the Gibson and love it...also the wife likes it that's important since it's her daily driver lol!

Reactions
Stock downpipes and thermal 2.5 exhaust, zero drone at any rpm. Cruising at 70 mph you don't even hear it.

OP
MyNameisE
Reactions
Vehicle
20' Explorer ST
Thread Starter #10
Stock downpipes and thermal 2.5 exhaust, zero drone at any rpm. Cruising at 70 mph you don't even hear it.
Thank you for this! I am going to pick up the Thermal RD 2.5, it sounds amazing on some sound clips. It also looks like it's cheaper than the Borla offering this week, plus free shipping. Huge benefit for us on the opposite side of the country.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
The Thermal 2.5 may not be as loud with stock downpipes but I found it obnoxious with CVF downpipes. Had it on for a month and took it off.

A quarter wave resonator will resolve drone if you take the time to figure out the frequency.
Did it resonate with the CVF downpipes or was it too loud for your taste?
My Thermal 2.5 gets installed tomorrow morning, I'm very anxious to hear it in person. I've been considering downpipes too but can't find any good interior sound clips to know what the difference is after adding them.

OP
MyNameisE
Reactions
Vehicle
20' Explorer ST
Thread Starter #12
My Thermal 2.5 gets installed tomorrow morning, I'm very anxious to hear it in person. I've been considering downpipes too but can't find any good interior sound clips to know what the difference is after adding them.
I just talked to someone who works there, and they mentioned the 2.5 is a good upgrade from stock, if you end up doing downpipes, he recommends the move to 3", it seems 3" is back ordered until the 24th.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I just talked to someone who works there, and they mentioned the 2.5 is a good upgrade from stock, if you end up doing downpipes, he recommends the move to 3", it seems 3" is back ordered until the 24th.
The oem 2.25” piping is plenty for everything short of bigger turbos. The larger piping really just changes the sound…bigger tends to equal deeper tone. There’s no performance difference

OP
MyNameisE
Reactions
Vehicle
20' Explorer ST
Thread Starter #14
The oem 2.25” piping is plenty for everything short of bigger turbos. The larger piping really just changes the sound…bigger tends to equal deeper tone. There’s no performance difference
Most definitely get that. I grabbed the 2.5. I'm looking for better sound over stock, but not too aggressive either. My Corvette, has long tube headers and a cat back magnaflow and for some reason no cats... But anyway, that is LOUD! And drone-y. Excited for little to no drone.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Any input on how downpipes sound inside the vehicle?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
It didn't drone, per se, it was just loud in an annoying way. Cold start was fine, idle was fine. Everything else was not what I wanted - like I was trying way too hard to sound like I was going fast all the time - you know those exhausts. Sound is subjective and what may sound fine to lots of others may irritate you...it's hard to say what's good/right because the exhaust change is purely for a change in sound that's pleasing to the person driving the vehicle.

I've got CVF downpipes with the stock exhaust until I get the custom exhaust made. It's not as quiet as 100% stock but it's significantly quieter than it was with the Thermal system.

Another thing I noticed when I removed it: The Thermal system doesn't have weep holes (at least mine didn't) - In the time it was on my vehicle through part of a mild Chicago winter, it retained a lot of water because it has nowhere to go.

I haven't heard the Thermal system on stock cats but I'm sure it'll be quieter.

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
It didn't drone, per se, it was just loud in an annoying way. Cold start was fine, idle was fine. Everything else was not what I wanted - like I was trying way too hard to sound like I was going fast all the time - you know those exhausts. Sound is subjective and what may sound fine to lots of others may irritate you...it's hard to say what's good/right because the exhaust change is purely for a change in sound that's pleasing to the person driving the vehicle.

I've got CVF downpipes with the stock exhaust until I get the custom exhaust made. It's not as quiet as 100% stock but it's significantly quieter than it was with the Thermal system.

Another thing I noticed when I removed it: The Thermal system doesn't have weep holes (at least mine didn't) - In the time it was on my vehicle through part of a mild Chicago winter, it retained a lot of water because it has nowhere to go.

I haven't heard the Thermal system on stock cats but I'm sure it'll be quieter.
Aftermarket systems or just mufflers generally don’t have weep holes. It takes 2 seconds to add them.

OP
MyNameisE
Reactions
Vehicle
20' Explorer ST
Thread Starter #18
Okay- So update!

I bought the Thermal R&D 2.5" and I couldn't be HAPPIER! It sounds so damn good for cold starts, and even at temp it sounds great. A few things I've noticed that I think really make this system worth for $1500 -
  • Sounds bitchin' at cold starts & at temp (as mentioned)
  • It looks stellar, I kept the stainless steel tips. Didn't come with the black ones, it maybe should have? but not a buzz kill for me. Looks stellar
  • NO DRONE! Such a big seller for me! You certainly here it more than stock when at speeds, but its not merely as much, due to the solid insulations
  • When you floor it, it really comes to life! Sound is sooo good. The 3" system would certainly be too much for me
  • The shipping was solid
  • Customer Service regarding what I should buy for my needs was stellar, I didn't get his name but he was EXTREMELY helpful!
I'd definitely buy through them again. ++ free shipping & no tax too!! @Thermal R&D