Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Looking for advice/opinions - Extended Warranty & Maintenance Plan

irontmp

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
BMW
Hey all! Bought our '22 less than a month ago. The day we purchased it, we were in a hurry to get out of the dealership. I left early and my wife stayed to sign the docs. After getting home and looking over the paperwork, I see we bought the Mechanical Protection Plan including the maintenance. It's 60 months 100k miles for $7500 along with paintless dent, windshield, road side coverage for $1500. I'm used to doing maintenance on our cars as far as oil changes, transmission fluid changes, brakes, etc.

I'm really leaning towards canceling the extra $9k worth of coverage, then as we get closer to the 3 year/36k mile Ford warranty running out, we can shop for an extended warranty at that point. Even if we took in the ST for service a couple times a year, the out of pocket seems to be FAR cheaper than the plan of ford the dealer sold us.

Am I following a logical thought process here? Anything I should consider before contacting the dealer to cancel? We have 2 more days to be within 30 days of purchase. Appreciate everyone's thoughts!
Hey, About to go pickup my new van and was offered to purchase a 8Y 100K maintenance plan for $2965. I'm having a hard time justifying it's worth that price but maybe some of you can tell me why it's a good value. Anyone else buy this? Thanks,

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Welcome to the forum. Shop around there as some Ford warranty plans out there cheaper.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hey, About to go pickup my new van and was offered to purchase a 8Y 100K maintenance plan for $2965. I'm having a hard time justifying it's worth that price but maybe some of you can tell me why it's a good value. Anyone else buy this? Thanks,
Honestly, it depends on the vehicle. Cars that have been made a while tend to have good reliability. I think for the Explorer '23, '24 will prove to be reliable.

Polo08816

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2014 BMW 335i
Reactions
I used Grainger Ford for my extended warranty. 8 years 80k miles.for about $2200.