Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Looking for advice/opinions - Extended Warranty & Maintenance Plan

Reactions
Hey all! Bought our '22 less than a month ago. The day we purchased it, we were in a hurry to get out of the dealership. I left early and my wife stayed to sign the docs. After getting home and looking over the paperwork, I see we bought the Mechanical Protection Plan including the maintenance. It's 60 months 100k miles for $7500 along with paintless dent, windshield, road side coverage for $1500. I'm used to doing maintenance on our cars as far as oil changes, transmission fluid changes, brakes, etc.

I'm really leaning towards canceling the extra $9k worth of coverage, then as we get closer to the 3 year/36k mile Ford warranty running out, we can shop for an extended warranty at that point. Even if we took in the ST for service a couple times a year, the out of pocket seems to be FAR cheaper than the plan the dealer sold us.

Am I following a logical thought process here? Anything I should consider before contacting the dealer to cancel? We have 2 more days to be within 30 days of purchase. Appreciate everyone's thoughts!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
seems expensive IMHO, but I have had Toyotas until the ST and never purchased (or needed) an extended warranty. I hope I don't need one for the ST!

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
They saw you coming....cancel that immediately.

VUDU350

Reactions
They tried that crap on my GT350. I called Ford and bought it direct, extended 3yr and i think 30k miles for around $1500. I'll be doing the same on my 22ST I got 2 weeks ago.

OP
Y
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
They saw you coming....cancel that immediately.
haha, agreed. We were in there with a fussy 10 month and 3 year old. My wife said she remembered they guy saying "if you want the maintenance, it covers everything for another $20/ month....." something like that. Ugh!

OP
Y
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
They tried that crap on my GT350. I called Ford and bought it direct, extended 3yr and i think 30k miles for around $1500. I'll be doing the same on my 22ST I got 2 weeks ago.
Damn! that is so much cheaper. Good to know man!

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Find a dealer that sells the extended warranty for dealer cost. AutoNation tried to sell us a plan for $4200, their cost was less than $1900 (8yr 100k miles Premium Care)

Yossarian

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I’d second http://www.floodfordesp.com/, just picked up a 21 ST with 12k on it and flood quoted me 6yr 60k premium care for $900. As soon as I mentioned them in the dealer finance office the F&I guy said he couldn’t even come close and said they’re known for being the cheapest.

Reactions
Anyone find a good extended plan for Canada?

thenewguy

Reactions
Anyone find a good extended plan for Canada?
Call a few dealerships around you, but I remember a couple years back when i was shopping for one, i came across someone in the US who was selling these extended warranties to canadians. You just need to have a US address where they can ship you the paperwork. Could possibly get a PO box near a border but im not sure if you even really need one now since everythings electronic. I would say try calling dealerships around you and get a ball park figure since every dealership has their own price.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
The price on an extended warranty can be negotiated when at that point in the transaction with dealership. I have been able to do that a few times. I don't really see the point of extended maintenance.
Never comes out cheaper in the long run.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I’d second http://www.floodfordesp.com/, just picked up a 21 ST with 12k on it and flood quoted me 6yr 60k premium care for $900. As soon as I mentioned them in the dealer finance office the F&I guy said he couldn’t even come close and said they’re known for being the cheapest.
They tried to sell it for 3.5k (less than 1k online for the same plan) to me. When I mentioned the low cost online ones, the finance guy just said they are not the same.
The ESPs are honored by every ford dealer across the country right?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The ESPs are honored by every ford dealer across the country right?
YES. These are FORD warranty plans... the exact same ones your dealer is trying to sell you, although at marked up prices.

Yossarian

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
100%, as soon as you buy online and sign the contract it shows in your FordPass app.

SR56

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Was checking on Flood and looks like they don't do "online" service contract to FL since our laws don't allow it. Has anyone found a way around it?

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Was checking on Flood and looks like they don't do "online" service contract to FL since our laws don't allow it. Has anyone found a way around it?
I haven't heard of anyone finding a way around that.

RJS

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer
I haven't heard of anyone finding a way around that.
You need a Non-Florida address, however you have one available.