Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Locking Gas Cap - Have you tried any?

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Isn’t the fuel door locked when the vehicle is locked?

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
This is an interesting concept. The problem would be that I see people lock their vehicle when they get out of their vehicle to put gas in it. Mostly little old ladies and the such. My co-worker told me she locks hers even though she is only going as far as the gas pump. Something about her safety or someone might steal her purse. I can't live like that, but anyways, these folks would never be able to put fuel in their vehicle if the fuel door locked when the vehicle was locked.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
They could open the hatch and then lock the vehicle.

Reactions
No

This is an interesting concept. The problem would be that I see people lock their vehicle when they get out of their vehicle to put gas in it. Mostly little old ladies and the such. My co-worker told me she locks hers even though she is only going as far as the gas pump. Something about her safety or someone might steal her purse. I can't live like that, but anyways, these folks would never be able to put fuel in their vehicle if the fuel door locked when the vehicle was locked.
Yeah that's a fair point.

Bmw has it so where if the car is locked the fuel door won't open, when unlocked it will.

I think with the way the new systems are set up you don't really have to fear the siphon, easier and cheaper for them to stick on a push to open gas cap.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions

BillBeau

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
Gas thieves do not bother with siphoning gas anymore. They just punch a hole in the tanks and drain it.

OP
E
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
If you filter those results none fit. At least none for my 2020 ST.
You're right... I should have hit the filter button. Looks like none of these fit the '21 ST :(

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
You’re right that it doesn’t lock. I couldn’t imagine they’d cheap out to that extent. My 2003 Mini Cooper has a locking fuel hatch.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Gas thieves do not bother with siphoning gas anymore. They just punch a hole in the tanks and drain it.
With anti-siphon and rollover valves, it's nearly impossible anyway.