Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Liquid's custom wireless charging phone mount (pics)

Liquid

Reactions
Cobbled together a custom wireless charging setup and so far I am very pleased with the results—very little vibration/wobble, easy to read at speed and manipulate if necessary, and catches some of the vent air to keep the Qi charger cool. I already had most of the pieces so I really only had to buy the ball mount adapter and the double sided adhesive.
imagejpeg_0_20210908_125805.jpg
The phone screen might look weird because I keep the blue light filter on full-time. Note that it does indicate Fast Wireless Charging.

20210907_093259.jpg
Currently stuck onto the vent housing with a 3M VHB pad, and I left a hole for myself in case I need to reinforce it with a lath screw later.

20210908_140132.jpg
Here are the components before assembly. The bracket is a piece of 1/8" aluminum that I cut and bent and painted after making a couple of cardboard mockups. It's not pretty because I'm not a fabricator but it fully serves its intended purpose.

Oh and I have the wiring hidden within the interior trim for the charger and for my Roav dashcam. They plug into USB ports that I hard wired in the dead pedal area—any interest in those pics?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Looking good. I wonder if the contact surface with the VHT is enough to hold all that mass though. Time will tell. Nice job!!

OP
Liquid

Liquid

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
The VHB lasted almost a year before starting to come loose. Glad I left myself a screw hole [coolsmile]

BillBeau

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
I am interested in the wiring photos for sure. I'm still looking for what people have used to mount a phone holder from the back of the LCD display. I have seen them but can't find the info now.

OP
Liquid

Liquid

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Pictured: two USB outlets integrated to the driver's kick panel; one switched for the dashcam and one constant for the phone mount. Used fuse taps, don't remember which fuses I tapped but I read it here on explorerst.org!
Not pictured: burying the USB cables under the steering column and various trim pieces
20210806_123505.jpg 20210806_105459.jpg 20210806_123814.jpg