Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Lights/Dashboard Remain Powered After Locking

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Picked up my '23 ST a few weeks ago and am having issues with certain electrical staying on after the car has been locked (dashboard screen and/or SYNC screen backlight). The issue is intermittent, sometimes everything shuts off as it should once the door has been locked, other times the screens stay on in different combinations. My headlamps are on auto. I have disabled the headlamp exit delay in the SYNC menu. I usually lock using the sensor on the door handle. I've tried locking using the keyfob after the screen did not turn off but it did not make a difference.

Today, i unlocked the vehicle using the SecuriCode keypad to retrieve something and relocked the vehicle using the keypad. The dashboard screen remained fully lit with the welcome image of the clouds, and the headlamp/tail lamps also remained on after locking. I assumed it would shut off after a few minutes so I went back into the house, when I came back a few hours later they still remained on. I tried entering and relocking via the keyfob but the lights remained on. It only turned off after I started the car, ran it for around 30s, and then shut it off and locked the vehicle using the door handle sensor.

Has anyone else has encountered these issues or found a way to ensure electronics fully shut off after locking?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I've had that happen before too and it is also rare. Restarting the car and shutting it off usually works. Sometimes I've had to remove the negative terminal of the battery for a hard reboot. All I can suggest is make sure you are on the latest Sync. I feel like when this happens, one of your modules is acting up an needs a hard reboot.

Have also recently had the headlights on after turning the car off and the headlight switch module turned out to be unresponsive. Restarting and turning off the car did nothing. I had to remove the module, disconnect the harness and reconnect it. Removing the negative terminal of the battery probably would have worked also.