Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Light tinting..

Golec

Reactions
Alright, I’m sure this has been answered on here before..but I am looking to have my black ST, blacked out even more.

i have called every local tint shop and no one is even willing to give it a shot. The closest place to me that said they would try, is about 3.5 hours and require the vehicle to be dropped off at 9am and wait for a call when it’s done (no waiting area). As you can see from the picture, I’m really not looking forward to sitting outside on the curb in this weather..

has anyone with zero experience with laying tint ever given it a shot? Any advice?

What product would you recommend as far as film and tools needed?

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions
Alright, I’m sure this has been answered on here before..but I am looking to have my black ST, blacked out even more.

i have called every local tint shop and no one is even willing to give it a shot. The closest place to me that said they would try, is about 3.5 hours and require the vehicle to be dropped off at 9am and wait for a call when it’s done (no waiting area). As you can see from the picture, I’m really not looking forward to sitting outside on the curb in this weather..

has anyone with zero experience with laying tint ever given it a shot? Any advice?

What product would you recommend as far as film and tools needed?
I just recently ordered and installed the Lamin-x kit in Gunsmoke from whoosh motorsports and it wasn't super difficult nor did it require any thing tool wise that you wouldn't already have. That said I'm going to be removing them shortly after the weather improves and I can get it all cleaned up for some pics. For me the amount that it dims the highlights at night isn't worth it and I would prefer to be able to see things better at night.

OP
Golec

Golec

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I just recently ordered and installed the Lamin-x kit in Gunsmoke from whoosh motorsports and it wasn't super difficult nor did it require any thing tool wise that you wouldn't already have. That said I'm going to be removing them shortly after the weather improves and I can get it all cleaned up for some pics. For me the amount that it dims the highlights at night isn't worth it and I would prefer to be able to see things better at night.
Is it really a big difference? I had the lights tinted on my Silverado (vehicle I traded in towards the ST) and it wasn’t that bad, but I had the “light smoke” or whatever the lighter version of the tint was called on them. Would you happen to have a picture of yours? I would like to see how dark yours are, to get a baseline on how dark is too dark haha

Reactions
2nd the Lamin-x pre cut kits. They are real easy and come with everything you need.

I have the darkest ones on my headlights and fog lights and it definitely is not nearly as bright as factory.. but I personally think for the full black out look.. it's worth not being as bright at night. It is still bright though, doesnt automatically turn them down to halogen level lol.. just not as bright as factory.

Turn on Bambi mode and on side streets with no cars.. you're fine.

Attachments

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Serious question here, why would you tint your headlights...I mean other than the cool factor. I'll take all the light I can get at night.

Reactions
I used the vvid air tint from Amazon. Was extremely easy, used a heat gun on low. 20220305_160114.jpg 20220305_143757.jpg 20220305_143802.jpg

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
No one uses spray tint anymore (VHT NightShade, etc)? I can see vinyl being more uniform, maybe longer lasting, and reversible.