Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Light Bar Integration

Silent Hit

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I want to install a lightbar on my 2022 ST. I do a lot of night driving in Maine on backroads. WIth all of that said does anyone know of an adapter to trigger the lights when the high beams turn on? From what I can see from the wiring diagrams is that when the high beams are activated the switch does not apply power but completed the circuit by completing the ground. So the headlights both low and high have constant power and only the ground side is switched. What makes it even more confusing is it seems there are combined grounds from the connector on the headlight assemblies. I have not seen anyone do this yet with the research I have done. I currently have them routed through my fog lamps with no issues. Thanks everyone for any help in this matter. Have a great day.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
why not integrate the ground for the light bar through the high beam circut ground as well?

OP
Silent Hit
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Thank you for your response, I appreciate that. I had thought about that but because of the amperage drawn from the system to light the bar I used a relay as to not overtax the stock light harness. with that said I am not sure the relay can handle an always on state where the relay closes when ground is applied. I am not even sure it has a seperate ground to run like that, I think it is integrated with the battery lead ground. Any ideas as to always hot relays for the trigger wire?

Reactions
The - wire on the relay is for the coil only, not for the load (light). The relay doesn't care if you open the coil circuit on the + side or the - side. If the circuit is open, there is no current through the coil and the relay does nothing. So you would be able to apply power to the + side and then tie into the - side at the headlight harness to complete the circuit.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST 401A Pkg White Met Tri-Coat
Maybe you should also look at the electrical specs of your light bar. Can’t really give you much advice as the answers would be generic.
Manufacturer should indicate best way to connect it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk