Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Liftgate 3rd brake light

Jshoe22

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ford explorer st
Has anyone had to replace the 3rd brake light? Do I need to pop the rear spoiler off or can I access it from the inside by taking the paneling off? Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Entire rear wing has to come off.

OP
J

Jshoe22

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ford explorer st
Thread Starter #3
Entire rear wing has to come off.
Does it just pop off with some pressure? Or is it bolted in from the inside?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
It’s bolted and tricky to get off but not really hard. See if there’s a video on YouTube.

OP
J

Jshoe22

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ford explorer st
Thread Starter #5
It’s bolted and tricky to get off but not really hard. See if there’s a video on YouTube.
Yeah I tried to search it but the closest thing I came to finding was a ford edge

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Yeah I tried to search it but the closest thing I came to finding was a ford edge
Basically remove the lower, black trim pieces on each side then the 3 nuts that bolt it on, one of which is behind a little trim panel. Then pull like hell.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Platinum

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The 3rd brake light on my '21 has LEDs that are burned out. A nearby Ford dealership told me the entire liftgate must be taken off the vehicle.
That doesn't appear to be the case based on what I've read here. Any thoughts? View attachment 18861
Yea…dealerships are stupid. That’s my thoughts.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Platinum
Yea…dealerships are stupid. That’s my thoughts.
That's what I though too.
Especially when I had an appointment and upon arriving was told the body shop manager was on vacation and hadn't ordered the part.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
The 3rd brake light on my '21 has LEDs that are burned out. A nearby Ford dealership told me the entire liftgate must be taken off the vehicle.
That doesn't appear to be the case based on what I've read here. Any thoughts? View attachment 18861
`You could buy the part online, then call an auto body shop or custom audio shop for install estimates. Send the above replacement instruction links if they need guidance.

JL1Z13A613C