Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Lethal mid pipes install

Reactions
Vehicle
20 Platinum
I finally got around to installing my mid pipes from lethal. Stock downpipes. For the rest of the exhaust, I have only changed the axle back section so where the mid pipes connect is also stock.

Removal and install was pretty easy on ramps. However, I am having an issue with alignment/leaks at the front. Initially, I inserted them more in the back, not realizing that left the front slots open so it leaked there. I loosened things up and started moving them more forward. I made sure to cover the front slots and they are almost touching the factory alignment tabs on the downpipes at this point. It has all been tightened with an impact. At both connections to the downpipe, there is a very very small leak. What I didn't do was measure to see just how much I could move forward without the pipes coming out of the rest of the system so I am not sure how much more forward I can move these. Do I need to push them all the way forward to the alignment tabs on the downpipes? When tightening the band clamps, how much is too much? Do I go until the sides of the clamps are touching the middle of the clamp? The front clamps I have positioned more towards the front of the pipes so essentially at the edge. Do I need to move those back?

OP
B
Reactions
Vehicle
20 Platinum
Thread Starter #2
So, update on this. Not too happy with the fitment of the pipes but they work. Could just be me as I haven't seen anyone post with the issues I had. I messed around with them again yesterday. No leaks at the rear connection so I left that, loosened up the front and could move them forward. I did that a few times and played around with the clamp position. Now at the front they are moved as far forward as possible (hitting the stock alignment tabs.) On one side, I no longer feel any leaks. On the other, somehow the clamp got bent and I proceeded to snap the bolt trying to tighten it. Luckily I had a spare but I still have a very small leak on that side. I left it like that as there isn't much I can do at this point. Hopefully shouldn't affect too much.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
fitment is definitely not perfect, especially in front. I could not get the downpipe tabs to engage much at all. That said, I don't believe I have any leaks after tightening everything up.