Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Left strut tower....

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
What is mounted here on other models?

tower2.jpg

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I think that is used for the strut cover if you have it. 20200324_152957.jpg

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Good question. Dale5403, I think the mounting holes he has pictured is in front of the insulator. I have the insulator and have wondered about those mounting holes myself.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Good question. Dale5403, I think the mounting holes he has pictured is in front of the insulator. I have the insulator and have wondered about those mounting holes myself.
You may be right when I look again.

OP
ZRX61

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Someone just posted a pic on FB of their '22 they picked up today & it shows what appears to be a fairly stout ground cable.. which raises more questions than it answered..

Strut2.jpg

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Someone just posted a pic on FB of their '22 they picked up today & it shows what appears to be a fairly stout ground cable.. which raises more questions than it answered..

View attachment 10747
I have that same cable on my week old 22 except my shock towers are black.. It goes to the engine and is machined where it attaches to the strut tower. Wonder if they found some electrical gremlins and added a good solid ground.

OP
ZRX61

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
where on the engine does the other end attach?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It was dark but it goes directly to the drivers side head about 2/3 way back to firewall. I'll grab a pic tomorrow when the sun is out if it helps. Pretty much a foot below the strut brace, or at least my Steeda brace.

OP
ZRX61

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
Might just have to make one from some #00 aircraft wire I have.. & put fire sleeve on it to confuse anyone who looks under the hood :)

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
where on the engine does the other end attach?
I think maybe the 22's just have the ground cable attached to this location for whatever reason. Look at Dale5403's red car pic above. Under the strut bar attachment points, you can see where I believe this ground cable is connected on older vehicles. UNLESS, this cable is in addition to the one seen in Dale's pic.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I think maybe the 22's just have the ground cable attached to this location for whatever reason. Look at Dale5403's red car pic above. Under the strut bar attachment points, you can see where I believe this ground cable is connected on older vehicles. UNLESS, this cable is in addition to the one seen in Dale's pic.
Good catch on that. I just looked at mine and and it is a ground cable running to the motor.

20220312_132537.jpg

OP
ZRX61

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
Had a look today. It has a cable that attaches at the same place on the engine & the tower end is same location as Dale's red one. I'm thinking it's down to who installed the cable at the factory as there are three different locations it could be bolted to on the strut tower that are visible in Dale's pic...

and there may be gremlins evolving if it gets bolted to one of those locations that's painted (powder coated?) instead of metal to metal (A&P here, we're a bit particular about ground straps..)
If I lived where it rains I'd think about removing it, making sure it's metal to metal & giving the end a squirt of the purple battery sealer snot, or just some vaseline.
& yes, I realize the bolt should take care of the metal to metal aspect... but....

Last edited: