Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Leaking sunroof

gg2mjk

Reactions
Obviously, I am not the only one who has a leaking sunroof. My 2014 Explorer had water pouring from overhead console and I was advised to have the sunroof drains cleaned out which I did and which solved the problem temporarily but ruined my remote starter that was installed there. Fast forward to a few weeks ago when we had 2 days of hard rain and I found 1+ inches of water in the front passenger floor area. That water also found its way to the rear passenger floor area. I vacuumed out 1.5 gallons of water over 2 days. I went to my local garage and they thought the roof drains were the culprit which surprised me since the overhead console wasnt leaking. They decided to clean the drains but found the sun roof was not working...apparently, the water blew the motor. I do not have $600 to replace the motor so I taped the sunroof shut...so far, no more leaking.

My position is that Ford knows this is a problem and although I was told by Ford that it isnt a safety problem, I disagree. When electronics are involved, it is a safety issue. In addition, there is absolutely not a word mentioned anywhere in my manual that this is a maintenance requirement. How is one to know when to have the drains cleaned out? The car tells me when to change the oil so why not tell me when to clean the drains. and why, for heaven's sake, would they make it so the only way to clean the drains is to have the roof open when, as in my case, the water ruined the motor so you cant open the roof!?! Who designs these things? I have talked with others who have sun roofs ( none have Fords) and they have never had a problem.

Reactions
Ever vehicle ive had with a sunroof has leaked, gms and Chrysler’s

hbalek

Reactions
Ever vehicle ive had with a sunroof has leaked, gms and Chrysler’s
I've had sunroofs on a 2003 Infiniti G35, 2010 MKZ, 2013 MKZ and 2020 Explorer ST and none have had leaks. Knock on wood!