Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Larger Throttle Body for 2020+ Explorer ST

Reactions
anyone try one yet?
there are a few options that will work with tuning calibration changes
curious if we are on to something new or if this has been done already

Last edited:

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
anyone try one yet?
there are a few options that will work with proper tuning calibrations
curious if we are on to something new or if this has been done already
I haven’t heard anything. But I’m interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
There’s a guy on FB testing one out but it’s not a truly larger bore. They’re just machining them Venturi style and using the oem size blade. I think he said he planned to try a larger straight bore with a larger blade but I haven’t seen anything else.

OP
ron@whooshmotorsports
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
There’s a guy on FB testing one out but it’s not a truly larger bore. They’re just machining them Venturi style and using the oem size blade. I think he said he planned to try a larger straight bore with a larger blade but I haven’t seen anything else.
nice
we have a test unit arriving Monday
if it bolts up and doesn't require a different connector the tuning will commence on the stock upper plenum then with a port matched one (y)

Reactions
you can reach out to Max Bore and see if he can work his magic on the stock TB. Thats what I was going to do on my mustang and its cheap...LOL
On a side note has anyone tried to port the factory intake manifold? again they do that alot with the mustangs. just curious how hard that would be to remove and send in.

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
nice
we have a test unit arriving Monday
if it bolts up and doesn't require a different connector the tuning will commence on the stock upper plenum then with a port matched one (y)
Did this ever fit ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
how much would a new or used TB be?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
how much would a new or used TB be?
I've got a beautiful TB with twin 2.5" intakes. I'll take $500 for it. Shipping's on you.
Seriously, a throttle body, (unless it's ridiculously undersized) in a turbo'd vehicle is not going to net any great HP gains...regardless of what any vendor tells you.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just to illuminate further, a throttle body bolts onto a manifold that has a fixed input diameter- if you have a 60mm manifold opening, adding an 80mm throttle body isn't going to do a thing. In an N/A vehicle, which is basically supercharged by gravity, and therefore at sea level limited to about 14.7 psi, (more in Death Valley, less atop Pikes Peak) anything you can do to eliminate restrictions, intake size changes, etc are marginally beneficial. So many vendors ( and I'm not picking on Whoosh) are more than willing to sell you upgrades that may have minor advantages on an N/A vehicle, but on a modern turbocharged vehicle with comprehensive ecu tuning capability are like buying presents for your car.

Reactions
Yeah I get it...I was hoping someone would have info on if the plastic manifold could be ported. Anything to be more efficient, small gains all add up.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I understand what you're saying, but you're still missing the point. A small amount of additional air density by increasing the turbo psi (air density) will far exceed a few more millimetres of throttle body diameter. Once again, if you have an N/A vehicle, enlarging a restrictive throttle body might net some gains, but not on this platform. The easiest gain is a tune which for about $700 with NO OTHER MODIFICATIONS will net you between 60-100hp.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
If someone tells me the diameter of the ST throttle body, I'll be glad to to the demonstrate the math behind my posts.

Reactions
A larger throttle body would only be beneficial if you bore match the intake manifold.

OP
ron@whooshmotorsports
Reactions
Thread Starter #15
Yeah I get it...I was hoping someone would have info on if the plastic manifold could be ported. Anything to be more efficient, small gains all add up.
Yes, the idea behind the larger throttle body is to match it with a ported upper plenum that would be offered as a set. This has actually been done already.
the TB / upper plenum combo is or was directed at highly modified Explorer ST's

Reactions
I understand what TMac is saying, I understand that it's easier and cheaper to just turn up the boost. I believe I saw some photos in one of the FB groups and it sparked my thinking. it's not as easy to access the IM on these as it is on a mustang. I was just thinking out loud. Im sure its been attempted and was asking if anyone had some feedback on the outcome. if you have any info please pass the link over my way.

SOUTHFLST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
The throttle bodies I’ve seen that have been “ported” are more smoothed than anything. Some TBs have ridges and transitions from inlet to outlet, causing turbulent air flow. Just smoothing out those ridges so that it’s one diameter all the way through does help with airflow. But it’s not enough to feel or notice.