Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Key Fob

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hey All,
I'm curious as to the range of the key fob. Not just in how far the ST will respond to your commands but how far away do you have to be wherein anyone could walk up and trigger the touch door locks?
There are times when I'm working in a building but only 10-20 ft away from the vehicle and I start to think someone could just open the door based on my proximity with the fob in my pocket.
Is there any concern with this and if so, what precautions can be taken?
Thanks!

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
It’s more like 2-3’. What you’re describing can’t happen.

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
It’s more like 2-3’. What you’re describing can’t happen.
So you're saying the fob has to be within 2-3ft of the vehicle for someone to open it?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I got curious and put this to the test moments ago. With my keys on the ground, the driver door stops opening once the keys are about 6 ft away.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Not an exact answer to your question, but in the example you have described, why not just leave the key fob in the vehicle and lock/unlock with the key pad on the side of the door?

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
Not an exact answer to your question, but in the example you have described, why not just leave the key fob in the vehicle and lock/unlock with the key pad on the side of the door?
I've not been leaving the backup fob in the vehicle thinking someone could just open it and drive away?
I have yet to get the factory door code so I can't use that feature yet.