Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Key Fob questions

Tank

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I just sold my 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk for a 2021 Atlas Blue ST. I spoke to both the dealer and to BatteriesPlus. They said a 3rd set for the key Fob would be approx. $250 (and Batteries Plus does not have them yet).
1. Anyone know where to get a KeyFob, that does all the same functions) any cheaper?
2. Since there is an auto unlock on the car door (the numbers on the side). Could I just keep a set in the car for emergencies (hidden of course)? I imagine a thief could drive away if the key was in the vehicle and they broke into the car (e.g., smashed window, etc.)
Any other thoughts/concerns/ideas re: the key fob?
Thanks

Reactions
If the fob is in the car someone wouldn't need to break in as the door would unlock by just grabbing the door handle. Not sure it would even lock in the first place since the system would think the key was left in the car.
We have two fobs but only use one as I'm not packing around the fob all the time when I don't hardly drive the car. Wife carry's her fob and I have my pickup key if we switch vehicles we switch keys if one of us ends up without a key the spares are in the house.

DaxST

Reactions
You can leave the fob inside and lock the door with the code panel. I do is whenever I go to the beach. I think that's the whole reason for the code panel, so you can leave your fob behind.

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I always keep the key fob in the ST. There is a place to keep it inside. This way I don't have to go looking for the fob as my wife drives it mostly. You just touch the bottom two numbers at the same time on the code panel to lock it. I will say that I am not sure what my insurance company would say if someone stole the ST. I would think an alarm would go off if broken into. Wife informed me that she knows on her phone when the truck is started and can shut it off if need be with her phone.(Please don't hold this against me if she told me wrong, but we think along with others we have spoken to that this is the best way.)

2TonB

Reactions
Dave I think that would be a problem. I have only had mine a month and a half, (1.5 weeks it was at ford). But if you leave the fob in the car, all anyone has to do is pull on the door handle 2 times and it unlocks. Also I think if you lock it and it the key is inside the mirrors do not fold in. Again, I have not had a lot of time to play with the car, maybe you can disable the door handle unlock when the fob is close.

I always keep the key fob in the ST. There is a place to keep it inside. This way I don't have to go looking for the fob as my wife drives it mostly. You just touch the bottom two numbers at the same time on the code panel to lock it. I will say that I am not sure what my insurance company would say if someone stole the ST. I would think an alarm would go off if broken into. Wife informed me that she knows on her phone when the truck is started and can shut it off if need be with her phone.(Please don't hold this against me if she told me wrong, but we think along with others we have spoken to that this is the best way.)

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Dave I think that would be a problem. I have only had mine a month and a half, (1.5 weeks it was at ford). But if you leave the fob in the car, all anyone has to do is pull on the door handle 2 times and it unlocks. Also I think if you lock it and it the key is inside the mirrors do not fold in. Again, I have not had a lot of time to play with the car, maybe you can disable the door handle unlock when the fob is close.
When you lock the ST by pressing the bottom two numbers and the key fob is in its designated spot, you cannot unlock just by lifting up on the door handle. The mirrors also fold in just fine. Once you start doing it this way there is no looking back. Wife remote starts with phone if need be.

Reactions
Hi,

I was very interested in this idea of locking the fob in the vehicle so I tested it out. Even with the fob sitting in the cupholder, the doors will not unlock by pulling on the handle. The door code works fine to unlock and lock the doors, but I did get a double honk when I pushed the lock button on the door and closed the door. The driver's door did not unlock automatically like I thought it would though.

Cheers,

Ron

hbalek

Reactions
Hi,

I was very interested in this idea of locking the fob in the vehicle so I tested it out. Even with the fob sitting in the cupholder, the doors will not unlock by pulling on the handle. The door code works fine to unlock and lock the doors, but I did get a double honk when I pushed the lock button on the door and closed the door. The driver's door did not unlock automatically like I thought it would though.

Cheers,

Ron
Proximity sensors know the difference between being inside the vehicle or outside. Also, I believe if the fob is more than 3 feet away from the person trying to open a locked door, it will not work. Makes sense for security,

Reactions
When you lock the ST by pressing the bottom two numbers and the key fob is in its designated spot, you cannot unlock just by lifting up on the door handle. The mirrors also fold in just fine. Once you start doing it this way there is no looking back. Wife remote starts with phone if need be.
Where is the designated spot for the key?

Reactions
spot for the FOB is in the middle console storage compartment.

db6

Reactions
I hide a fob in the ST, but remove the battery. Truck doesn’t recognize fob, won’t start. I have a battery also hidden in the truck in case I need it. But I believe that if you put the fob in the holder in the center console, the truck will start without a battery in the fob. I meant to test this, but haven’t gotten around to it yet.