Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Key Fob Question

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hi All,
What does it mean when you unlock your door, start the ST and then get a popup saying "key not detected"? How can it not detect the key after I just unlocked the door and started the engine? lol

Reactions
Mine does that occasionally. I consider it a glitch, but to minimize the number of occurrences I replace the battery with a fresh one. Seems to do the job.

These vehicles and all modern vehicles are so laiden with electronics that, along with the amount of RF interference around us all the time, it’s a f**king wonder these things work as reasonably well as often as they do. That said, this is the most electronically glitchy vehicle I’ve ever laid my hands on.

Last edited:
OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Mine does that occasionally. I consider it a glitch, but to minimize the number of occurrences I replace the battery with a fresh one. Seems to do the job.

These vehicles and all modern vehicles are so laiden with electronics that, along with the amount of RF interference around us all the time, it’s a f**king wonder these things work as reasonably well as often as they do. That said, this is the most electronically glitchy vehicle I’ve ever laid my hands on.
Right? lol
I replaced the batts in both fobs about 2 months ago. Glad to know others experience this glitch.

Reactions
Right? lol
I replaced the batts in both fobs about 2 months ago. Glad to know others experience this glitch.
It’s always at the worst time too, like 5am in my driveway and the horn blows twice for the missing key, waking up the neighbourhood lol

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
It’s always at the worst time too, like 5am in my driveway and the horn blows twice for the missing key, waking up the neighbourhood lol
Ahhhh, I hate that! There's supposed to be a forscan setting to disable that.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Yeah mine does it all of the time, its so annoying

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
The dreaded double honk!!!!! You can disable that with Forscan.

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
The dreaded double honk!!!!! You can disable that with Forscan.
Always thought about it but never dabbled with Forscan. Do you just need the proper code for it and enter Forscan by pressing that button on the display?

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
You need a OBD Link EX (Cost about $40) and a lap top computer. You also need to apply and download the Forscan program which you can get for two months free. I'm not that computer savvy. If I can do it anybody can. Hopefully somebody on the forum will jump in here that is more computer and forscan savvy than me and give you some advice.

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #10
You need a OBD Link EX (Cost about $40) and a lap top computer. You also need to apply and download the Forscan program which you can get for two months free. I'm not that computer savvy. If I can do it anybody can. Hopefully somebody on the forum will jump in here that is more computer and forscan savvy than me and give you some advice.
Ok, thanks for that information! I'm ok with computer technology so it should be doable.

hbalek

Reactions
I've never replaced my batteries in the fobs but I get it sometimes if my fob is behind my fat wallet, which has the data protection inside of it, which blocks certain frequencies.

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
Hi All,
What does it mean when you unlock your door, start the ST and then get a popup saying "key not detected"? How can it not detect the key after I just unlocked the door and started the engine? lol
Just a proximity thing

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #13
Just a proximity thing
It must be pretty finicky about proximity. My butt is in the same place when I start the engine as it is when the popup says it can't find it. lol

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
It must be pretty finicky about proximity. My butt is in the same place when I start the engine as it is when the popup says it can't find it. lol
Yes I have had the same thing happen