Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Key fob lost power on me

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Surprised it hasn't happened to me sooner. Went to drive home from work. Doors would not unlock. Keyfob acted like it's dead. What saved me was the door code entry--I can't believe they are making this an option for 2025. Once inside, I put the Fob in the special pocket in the console and started the car. Once a got home, a new battery (2450, make sure you have some on hand) did the trick.

hbalek

Reactions
Surprised it hasn't happened to me sooner. Went to drive home from work. Doors would not unlock. Keyfob acted like it's dead. What saved me was the door code entry--I can't believe they are making this an option for 2025. Once inside, I put the Fob in the special pocket in the console and started the car. Once a got home, a new battery (2450, make sure you have some on hand) did the trick.
The vehicle is supposed to warn you that the FOB is low on battery. At least that's what my 2013 Lincoln did. Sometimes mine says key not detected if it's behind my wallet in my front pocket.

OP
C

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Yeah, no warning. I did have my keys scrunched in a smaller shirt pocket with my wallet. Maybe one of the buttons was pressed for a prolonged period and drained the key fob batteries.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Really the key fob should remain in the vehicle almost all the time, by design. It is so much more convenient if you do this.

OP
C

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
Really the key fob should remain in the vehicle almost all the time, by design. It is so much more convenient if you do this.
isn't it a pain to lock the car with the door code pad?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Just push two buttons simultaneously. Pretty tough.

Jetiemann

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Do you remote start often? I do pretty much every time. I guess I could get used to using my phone for remote start.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Do you remote start often? I do pretty much every time. I guess I could get used to using my phone for remote start.
Yes, my wife does whenever it is cold or hot outside.