Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Just installed a Whipple intercooler.

Reactions
I think Mishi making a option will be great. They also do CARB EO certs, so it will be one that you can run anywhere.

OP
H
Reactions
Thread Starter #22
Is this consistent every day so far?
Sorry for the dealyed response I have been sick. Yes I am very pleased with the upgrade. It accelerates a lot better

OP
H
Reactions
Thread Starter #23
^This, also any tips on install?
Sorry for not responding but have been ill but now better. The install is pretty in depth but went smoothly. I am glad I had help because it would been difficult trying to get the bumper off by myself. The install took about 3-4 hrs. I took my time.

Kingcor

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
If I’m not planning on tuning is this mod worth it? Would the money be better spent elsewhere for performance increase if not tuning?

Reactions
If I’m not planning on tuning is this mod worth it? Would the money be better spent elsewhere for performance increase if not tuning?
This is absolutely worth it even if you're not planning on tuning. I installed mine back in June before I was tuned and the difference in acceleration is immediately noticeable. It feels like the engine is just having a much easier time.

OP
H
Reactions
Thread Starter #26
I think it is worth installing. It makes the ST accelerate better and run smoother.

Reactions
Definitely a worthwhile mod for increased performance and enhanced reliability. If you are just puttering around town easy on the gas all the time then no, but if you want to drive the ST the way she should be driven then yes. Remember the Ideal Gas Law from physics? Hot inlet temps cause your ECU to pull timing so you don’t have pre-ignition ( aka detonation). Pulled timing = less performance.

Last edited:

Kingcor

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Definitely a worthwhile mod for increase performance and enhanced reliability. If you are just puttering around town easy on the gas all the time then no, but if you want to drive the ST the way she should be driven then yes. Remember the Ideal Gas Law from physics? Hot inlet temps cause your ECU to pull timing so you don’t have pre-ignition ( aka detonation). Pulled timing = less performance.
Thanks I appreciate the insight. Now I’m just debating if I get the whipple now or wait for the Mishimoto to one to be released. I’m not sure they will be all that different right? Any reason worth waiting?

Reactions
Thanks I appreciate the insight. Now I’m just debating if I get the whipple now or wait for the Mishimoto to one to be released. I’m not sure they will be all that different right? Any reason worth waiting?
I see no reason to pass on the Whipple. They are well respected in the industry and I don't believe anyone that has installed one, including me, has anything bad to say.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I have a tune on mine now from ZFG Racing. Will I have to get it re-tuned if I add the Whipple?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Just ordered one! Hope it helps in the South Florida heat! Thanks all.

Tommy

Reactions
I have a tune on mine now from ZFG Racing. Will I have to get it re-tuned if I add the Whipple?

I wouldn't say that you have to, however to take full advantage of the new IC it would be good to have Adam do an update.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I wouldn't say that you have to, however to take full advantage of the new IC it would be good to have Adam do an update.
Ok cool. Thanks for the response. I may take my chances and do it myself.

Reactions
Ok cool. Thanks for the response. I may take my chances and do it myself.

The install isn't bad, just take your time. To make sure I put all the bolts back where they go I bought some cheap zip lock baggies and labeled them for each area I took the bolts out from.

Reactions
Who has the best price on the Whipple? Looking to pick it up, but the cheapass in me is waiting for a sale.

Reactions
Hey Big J there are a couple of options other than Whipple. One has terrible ratings in customer service, and the other is almost ready for release. I've been watching as well but decided to spend the money and go with Whipple. I've heard no complaints from those that did. Just do a search for explorer st intercooler and read up.

On that note. Once I have everything apart, is there any upside to removing or partially removing the block off plate on the backside of the grill. Appears it would increase air flow across the IC and radiator.

Reactions
Hey Big J there are a couple of options other than Whipple. One has terrible ratings in customer service, and the other is almost ready for release. I've been watching as well but decided to spend the money and go with Whipple. I've heard no complaints from those that did. Just do a search for explorer st intercooler and read up.

On that note. Once I have everything apart, is there any upside to removing or partially removing the block off plate on the backside of the grill. Appears it would increase air flow across the IC and radiator.
I actually strapped a camera on my grill and recorded the shutter slats while driving. They didn’t close at all up to 85mph. I think they only close in cold weather to help warm the car up. The 85mph was only for a second, so not sure if they close at hwy speeds and long durations. Even so I wish I would have removed mine when doing the IC install.

Regarding Whipple vs others, just go Whipple. Mishimoto, or however it’s spelled, has had this teaser out for months and no true updates on progress. Zero drawbacks on Whipple’s design or performance.

Reactions
I actually strapped a camera on my grill and recorded the shutter slats while driving. They didn’t close at all up to 85mph. I think they only close in cold weather to help warm the car up. The 85mph was only for a second, so not sure if they close at hwy speeds and long durations. Even so I wish I would have removed mine when doing the IC install.

Regarding Whipple vs others, just go Whipple. Mishimoto, or however it’s spelled, has had this teaser out for months and no true updates on progress. Zero drawbacks on Whipple’s design or performance.
Thank you Twin 001. I've read some stuff on the shutter slats. Think someone mentioned it threw a code fault when he removed them. Someone else just removed the slats, kept everything else in place and no code. I'm specifically referring to the flat plastic attached to the backside of the grill. If you look at a PIU version it is very visible not as noticeable on the ST but is still there

RobHalo

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions

I saw Mishimoto quote Spring 2022 as an ETA for their cooler, and I'm sure that doesn't account for possible manufacturing/shipping delays. I can't imagine any difference substantial enough to be worth waiting for.