Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Just finished the ST experience in Utah - lots of fun

Reactions
My son and I took the ST on a road trip from Portland to Park City, UT for Ford's ST experience. So glad we did it! I am really impressed with how the explorer handles...it's not tippy at all.

Park City is nice. it was the site of the 2002 winter olympics. Ford puts you up in a pretty sweet hotel Hyatt Centric and provides dinner and breakfast at the hotel restaurant and lunch at the event site. I had the NY strip steak and it was pretty damn good.

They give you some goodies at check-in (Ford performance backpack with some black ST badges, wireless phone charger..some other stuff) and they assign you your car for the day. We left the hotel around 8:45am and took a scenic drive to the event location, Soldier Hollow. We spent the day doing the events below and were back at the hotel by 4:30pm. If you go with a guest you will both have plenty of wheel time!

Events:

-aggressive lane change/avoidance maneuver - they have you get up to 30mph and do an aggressive left turn immediately followed by an aggressive right, then slam on the breaks to trigger ABS. The idea is to simulate a situation where you'd have to dodge something in the road at the last second. each driver gets 3 runs and you naturally get more aggressive with each run. i had the back end kick out a bit on my 3rd run, enough so that the stability control kicked in.

-automatic emergency braking - they have you get up to 20mph and drive straight at an inflatable car. the point is to demonstrate the automatic emergency braking system. you get up to 20mph and then put both feet on the floor and let the car do the rest. It stopped us within inches of the balloon car every time. 3 runs per driver

-Off-road/trail driving - i was surprised they offered this but glad they did. they demonstrated some of the explorer's trail/off-road features (hill descent control, trail mode) It was a nice drive with a few steep grades and they stopped at a view point for an optional driver switch.

-biathlon shooting (ST experience location was Soldier Hollow - 2002 winter Olympics biathalone course) - we got to shoot a bunch of rounds at targets using the biathlon guns..was nice to shoot

-autocross - the best part. they have a course setup and each driver gets 4 runs; they time the final run. these big heavy SUVs handle a lot better than you think. you can throw them into the corners pretty hard. don't hit the cones though, 2sec penalty per cone.

image0.jpeg

Reactions
Thanks for sharing, and being so detailed it sounds awesome!

We have the North Carolina location booked for the 4th August.

You mentioned in your swag you got multiple black ST badges. I knew you got one for the rear, but does it include one for the front? - Trying to go all black so this could save me some $$$.

Also if you have any close up pics of merch it’d be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions
Very nice!

Thanks for sharing.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thanks for the detailed write up. Planning on going later this year or early next year.

OP
FordHousePDX
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Thanks for sharing, and being so detailed it sounds awesome!

We have the North Carolina location booked for the 4th August.

You mentioned in your swag you got multiple black ST badges. I knew you got one for the rear, but does it include one for the front? - Trying to go all black so this could save me some $$$.

Also if you have any close up pics of merch it’d be appreciated

here’s a pic of the ST badges. There are 2, a small one and a large one for front and back. I’ll put up pics of the swag once I get back home. A31B6E1B-CB0F-4075-9813-6A1C5BE9FC69.png

STFan

Administrator
Reactions
Great review, thanks for sharing.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I think I’m more and more leaning towards Park City....mostly just for the awesome road trip out there from Houston.

Reactions
here’s a pic of the ST badges. There are 2, a small one and a large one for front and back. I’ll put up pics of the swag once I get back home. View attachment 1202
Thanks for sharing, that’s awesome just saved me $$$ ordering customs.

Excited to get a sneak peek of the other goodies we get.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Reactions
I am jealous and hope something is setup for Canadian Fans/Buyers

OP
FordHousePDX
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Thanks for sharing, that’s awesome just saved me $$$ ordering customs.

Excited to get a sneak peek of the other goodies we get.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Here’s the swag in addition to the backpack.

image.jpg

OP
FordHousePDX
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
Just realized I never posted a pic of the backpack

image.jpg

UtesFanRy

Reactions
Thanks for the post! Super excited, we do ours on the 20th of July.

We live about 30-40 mins from Park City and go there often, but looking forward to this experience there!

Reactions
I am jealous and hope something is setup for Canadian Fans/Buyers
I just hope they allow an extended period that we can use it within seeing as the border is closed. I'll do the Park City one once the border is open and the US gets a better grip on controlling infection.

KegsBdry

Reactions
That is a great experience. I'm scheduled for this month's ST Experience in Asheville, NC. Has anyone experienced their site? I'm bringing the family. Does anyone have recommendations?

Reactions
here’s a pic of the ST badges. There are 2, a small one and a large one for front and back. I’ll put up pics of the swag once I get back home. View attachment 1202
Did you get to pick the goodies? Are they just stick on?

OP
FordHousePDX
Reactions
Thread Starter #19
Did you get to pick the goodies? Are they just stick on?
No, you don't get to pick. They give you a backpack with the goodies inside. Yep, those ST badges are stick on.

kartman

Reactions
-biathlon shooting (ST experience location was Soldier Hollow - 2002 winter Olympics biathalone course) - we got to shoot a bunch of rounds at targets using the biathlon guns..was nice to shoot
Was the biathalon part included? I got the impression it was extra from the website.

Any guess of how rounds you got to shoot?