Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Joined the Leaking CV Boot Club

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
IMG_0123.JPG
2020 ST, 52,000 miles, right front. Still covered under 5/60,000 powertrain warranty. (One time I'm glad that Ford's giving me the shaft)

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
View attachment 23295
2020 ST, 52,000 miles, right front. Still covered under 5/60,000 powertrain warranty. (One time I'm glad that Ford's giving me the shaft)
Well glad the power train warranty covers that. Never really thought about the longer powertrain warranty.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
To me this is one of those fixes I would just prefer to take care of myself than to do the whole dealer warranty routine. my right one leaked, bought both left and right axles, installed both in about an hour, including topping off the front differential oil.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
To me this is one of those fixes I would just prefer to take care of myself than to do the whole dealer warranty routine. my right one leaked, bought both left and right axles, installed both in about an hour, including topping off the front differential oil.
How low would you say your front diff oil was? Would you say it was necessary to top it off or was it just cause you were in there?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
How low would you say your front diff oil was? Would you say it was necessary to top it off or was it just cause you were in there?
The passenger side axle inserts directly into the front diff and will spill oil the moment you remove it. The front diff only holds 0.6 qts so you definitely should top it off. I've already done this procedure with the speed sensor replacement which I also elected to do myself, so i can do it quicker than a first-timer. The driver side axle inserts into the FADA and leaks no oil.

Also, a large pry bar is handy to pop the axles out.

hbalek

Reactions
The whole point of buying a new or newer car is to have warranty protection. That's why they cost more than old cars with expired warranty. So I respectfully disagree with this. In my opinion, the qualtiy of the diagnoses and repair depends on which dealer you take your vehicle to and whether they honor warranty repairs. Luckily, my dealer service at Sheehy Ford is excellent about covering all of my repairs since 2019 free of charge. I had both CV boots and axles replaced then the FADA TSB both under powertrain no hassles and no charge.

OP
Autoworker

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Right now, I'm not fixing anything due to tearing off the distal bicep from my right arm back in February. Surgery in March, and now undergoing rehab.
The whole point of buying a new or newer car is to have warranty protection. That's why they cost more than old cars with expired warranty. So I respectfully disagree with this. In my opinion, the qualtiy of the diagnoses and repair depends on which dealer you take your vehicle to and whether they honor warranty repairs. Luckily, my dealer service at Sheehy Ford is excellent about covering all of my repairs since 2019 free of charge. I had both CV boots and axles replaced then the FADA TSB both under powertrain no hassles and no charge.
I bought Ford's 6 year, 75,000 mile Premium Care Warranty. If I don't use it within 60 days of expiration, I get a full refund. Pretty good deal.

23 Explorer ST

Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
I purchased the Ford 6/100,000 warranty for peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hbalek

Reactions
Right now, I'm not fixing anything due to tearing off the distal bicep from my right arm back in February. Surgery in March, and now undergoing rehab.

I bought Ford's 6 year, 75,000 mile Premium Care Warranty. If I don't use it within 60 days of expiration, I get a full refund. Pretty good deal.
I never heard of that deal. Is that on all ESP's? I have 7 year/85,000 PremiumCare Ford Protect.

OP
Autoworker

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
I never heard of that deal. Is that on all ESP's? I have 7 year/85,000 PremiumCare Ford Protect.
IMG_0128 - Copy.JPG
This is what I received at the time of purchase. Was told if I don't use it and apply for the refund within 60 days after expiration of the contract, I get a full refund of the purchase price. May be worth your while to check with the dealer you purchased the ESP from. I just noticed " unauthorized modification, alteration to the vehicle" excludes you from a refund. That takes out half of the forum! :LOL:

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
View attachment 23331
This is what I received at the time of purchase. Was told if I don't use it and apply for the refund within 60 days after expiration of the contract, I get a full refund of the purchase price. May be worth your while to check with the dealer you purchased the ESP from. I just noticed " unauthorized modification, alteration to the vehicle" excludes you from a refund. That takes out half of the forum! :LOL:
That would be awesome if it applied to all Ford ESP warranties. Will have to check it out with my dealer.

hbalek

Reactions
View attachment 23331
I don't see anything saying saying Signature Assurance on my documents. That must be a different type of contract. Mine was from a dealer online application and paid $1525 for 84 months/85K miles $100 deductible and first day rental with pickup/delivery service. I have 2.5 more years left on it and have yet to use it over the past 18 months. I'm still under powertrain warranty until December.

Reactions
2020 B build here. My passenger front went out in October 2023, my driver front went out in April 2024. Dealership replaced both under warranty, no charge. They also did my FADA o-ring, but not the TSB.

Is it likely that they refilled the front diff, since some fluid is lost during replacement?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
2020 B build here. My passenger front went out in October 2023, my driver front went out in April 2024. Dealership replaced both under warranty, no charge. They also did my FADA o-ring, but not the TSB.

Is it likely that they refilled the front diff, since some fluid is lost during replacement?
The FADA O-ring replacement would have necessitated refilling the front differential. Nothing is every guaranteed when dealing with shops but i would consider it a given. For the passenger size, if they are lazy and quick enough swapping old for new, then it's possible not to top it off and not have major problems ensue within short timeframe.