Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

It finally happened...

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Nearly three years of pretty much trouble free operation in my 2020. Went out today and the entire Sync system is haywire. No audio- in fact the "Audio" touchscreen squares are greyed out. No Nav- It shows a map, of where it ended up from yesterday's drive, but there is a Nav with the circle/slash through it, so no navigation movement whatsoever. No phone interface either. You can still move from screen to screen (except audio), but everything seems pretty much kaput. I tried a soft reset a couple of times and no difference. It was all working fine yesterday. I've never had it reflashed so it's on 3.4 19200 whatever that portends. Of course, I'm going to call the dealer and get it in before warranty expires in a few months, but was just wondering if anyone had an interesting solution. Thanks.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I would try updating the SYNC software to the one that just came out version 22200. That is if it will let you update.

If I remember right that version 19200 was problematic.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I’d do the old unhook the battery trick first.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Yeah, good place to begin.

DeliciousCornbread

U.S. Army Veteran
Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2019 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
I’d do the old unhook the battery trick first.
I had a similar issue in my Mustang in like 2020, the screen was a jumbled/frozen mess. Unhooking from the battery for 30 minutes worked for me and no issues after that.

Reactions
Recently had a similar issue. Nav would go out, Ford Pass would stop communicating, tile icons for the Sirius quit working and then it wouldn't update or connect to my WiFi network. Took it in and they replaced the entire unit under extended warranty.

Actually still won't connect to my WiFi network but that may be dur to WiFi 6. I'll have to do more work on that.

OP
T

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
No. It didn't fix itself! Nor did disconnecting the power. I have an appointment scheduled for later this week. Appreciate you asking!

Blue720

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Just happened to me today! No audio (audio off) gps isn’t working AB’s my parking sensor alert sounds weird. I unplugged the fuses. Tried unhooking the battery. Tried a hard restart, none of it worked.

OP
T

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
I feel your pain.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Did you ever get this fixed? mine started doing it tonight.

OP
T

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
It seems it was a first symptom of the battery going out. Replaced the battery and everything started working again.

F=MA

Reactions
That's what I thought when I read that. Started researching battery replacement info for the ST last night. I have 25,000 miles on my 2020 with no issues so far so I guess it's time to be proactive.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
That's what I thought when I read that. Started researching battery replacement info for the ST last night. I have 25,000 miles on my 2020 with no issues so far so I guess it's time to be proactive.
I have a 2020 as well. Noticed lately (through my radar detector) that the BMS was always charging the battery when the engine was on. Also noticed the battery voltage when off was often 12V or slightly below. The final straw was the car refused to update Sync when I put the USB stick in. Got an H6 AGM at Costco for around $200 last week, reset the BMS with Forscan Lite and all was well again.