Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

It finally happened............

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
After exactly one year and 11,000 miles mine developed "the troubles". Yesterday about half of the electronics stopped working, cameras, driver alert, even the clock. I parked it overnight and this morning the battery was dead. When I tried to jump start it every alarm on the dash display went off and when I cranked it, it wouldn't start but refused to stop cranking until I disconnected the jumper cables. Ford roadside assistance put me on hold for a long time so I called AAA. They will have a tow here shortly.

OP
CapTom

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Will do. The service department says they are full, so it may be a day or two, but I think I already guessed that.

OP
CapTom

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
So, just like I thought might happen, the tow truck driver got in it and it started right up, and all the electronics worked. It's on his flatbed anyway, headed to the dealer. They said they still wanted to look at it, and I sure don't want it to happen again on the road.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Can you post your build date so we can continue to keep track of these?

OP
CapTom

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
Build date 12/04/19. We bought it on February 1, 2020.

OP
CapTom

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
The service department says it is working perfectly. I told them to keep it overnight and try again. I would hate to take it home and have this happen again.

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Hopefully it’s something simple. A battery going bad can cause all kind of gremlins to pop up.

OP
CapTom

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
I hope so too. I haven't been to the service department before, other than for routine service. I was impressed with them. They actually looked at it as it came off the flatbed. I wish they had found something, but I understand the problem with diagnosing an intermittent problem.

Reactions
When the battery went dead on my 2013 Focus ST the gauges and all sorts of things freaked out. I know you are only at a year but it's possible that it's the battery as well.

RLW

Reactions
I had a dead battery in my new at the time XLT that was blamed on a bad keyless entry module. Who’d a thunk it?

OP
CapTom

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #12
The service dept checked the battery and found it to be okay. Even the tow truck driver said the same. But you're right, voltage problems can mess with modern electronics.

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I had looked at a 2020 model at a dealer that had it as a buyback.
He said they had heck of a time with it..but it turned out to be the battery and haven't had another problem since it was replaced.
Anyway I bought a 2021.

Jim

OP
CapTom

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #14
I've heard similar stories. If they don't find anything in the morning I think I'll argue for a new battery. It doesn't look like one you could replace at just any service station.

Reactions
I had looked at a 2020 model at a dealer that had it as a buyback.
He said they had heck of a time with it..but it turned out to be the battery and haven't had another problem since it was replaced.
Anyway I bought a 2021.

Jim
Same here. Wish this guy the best and hope we don’t end up in the same boat!

OP
CapTom

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #16
I got it back this afternoon. The report said the found, and cleared, multiple battery related faults, but the battery tested fine. The fact that the tow truck operator got it started with a good jump made me think. I took the Weego jumper out of my boat and will carry it in the ST just in case.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
If battery tests out fine, could be a sketchy ground wire somewhere. If they didn't do anything but clear codes, I don't think this is the last you'll hear about this.

OP
CapTom

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #18
If battery tests out fine, could be a sketchy ground wire somewhere. If they didn't do anything but clear codes, I don't think this is the last you'll hear about this.
I'm sure about that. Next time I'll have it taken to them without letting anyone start it. Hopefully seeing it dead will help them diagnose it.

Reactions
I got it back this afternoon. The report said the found, and cleared, multiple battery related faults, but the battery tested fine. The fact that the tow truck operator got it started with a good jump made me think. I took the Weego jumper out of my boat and will carry it in the ST just in case.
I had an issue with my 2015 Silverado where it completely went dead with absolutely no power to anything for no reason. Only way I got it started in the middle of the woods was a Stanley jump starter that works via the cigarette outlet. Takes about 15 mins but well worth the wait. Other traditional battery bank jump starters didnt work. I always keep it in my truck now