Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Is The Cold Start Rattle Normal?

OP
Stinger

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Thread Starter #21
I got a whole new engine out of my phasers going bad. They went at 9500mi. Ford wanted the engine back to "diagnose" it.
I’m glad you got a new motor. I finally got the cam phasers letter from ford about the 3.5 eb in the last F150 I had. But that’s gone and I never had issues with that motor.

I just turned the ST in for service last night. I noticed more engine oil smell over the last few weeks. It was time to get fixed. I got a new F150 off the lot for a loaner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I got a whole new engine out of my phasers going bad. They went at 9500mi. Ford wanted the engine back to "diagnose" it.
I would take that as a win I am still waiting on a few parts required to complete the job (oil pan and gasket I believe) one has eta of late Nov now and the other no ETA. If there was an aftermarket pan option I would probably take it unfortunately I can't find any to replace our plastic pans.

OP
Stinger

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Thread Starter #23
I would take that as a win I am still waiting on a few parts required to complete the job (oil pan and gasket I believe) one has eta of late Nov now and the other no ETA. If there was an aftermarket pan option I would probably take it unfortunately I can't find any to replace our plastic pans.
The dealer ordered parts at the end of July. I got the call at the end of September to set up the service appointment. The oil pan gasket and another gasket held everything up. They wouldn’t get an aftermarket part.

Reactions
The dealer ordered parts at the end of July. I got the call at the end of September to set up the service appointment. The oil pan gasket and another gasket held everything up. They wouldn’t get an aftermarket part.

I just noticed your location.. Who are you having do the work? I had Summit in Beaver Dam do mine(I originally bought it from Metro on the east side).

OP
Stinger

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Thread Starter #25
I just noticed your location.. Who are you having do the work? I had Summit in Beaver Dam do mine(I originally bought it from Metro on the east side).
Metro Ford. Tentatively, I’m picking it up tomorrow. 7 full business days.

Reactions
Had the Vibrant flex couplings put on today and the rattle is FINALLY gone. I've had that rattle for most of the STs life so to hear it without the rattle is surreal. I just cant believe it's gone lol. Parts and labour was 250. Hope that helps anyone inquiring.

OP
Stinger

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Thread Starter #27
Had the Vibrant flex couplings put on today and the rattle is FINALLY gone. I've had that rattle for most of the STs life so to hear it without the rattle is surreal. I just cant believe it's gone lol. Parts and labour was 250. Hope that helps anyone inquiring.
Any rattling is annoying. Glad your exhaust rattling got fixed. This thread mainly discusses the camshaft solenoids/phasers being faulty. Faulty camshaft solenoids allow the oil to drain out of the top of the motor causing a rattle on startups.

OP
Stinger

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Thread Starter #28
I got the ST back last week. I’ve driven the vehicle every day for a week and so far so good. Had a few drips of oil on my garage floor, but no dreaded cold start rattle. I will be closely watching for more oil. So far it was only a one time occurrence. It was warranty work so nothing out of my pocket. Ford says it’s a 20 hour job. The dealer here took 6 business days to complete it. The service advisor said their most experienced mechanic struggled with the 3.0 since there’s just not a lot of room like the 3.5 F150 has in the engine compartment.

ST+

Reactions
Put in a can of BG's MOA oil additive last oil change and no more rattle.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST

I am still waiting on the oil pan gasket, all other parts arrived. Dealership has been great, but I got a Ford customer service rep involved. very disappointed with the Ford reps, they dont do anything to further assist getting the part -- just another person updating me saying yup no part yet. You would think they would pull one of the line or something to help the dealer get the part.

OP
Stinger

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Thread Starter #31
I am still waiting on the oil pan gasket, all other parts arrived. Dealership has been great, but I got a Ford customer service rep involved. very disappointed with the Ford reps, they dont do anything to further assist getting the part -- just another person updating me saying yup no part yet. You would think they would pull one of the line or something to help the dealer get the part.
It’s frustrating since I offered to pay for an aftermarket gasket. Warranty work is strictly Ford parts.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Took nearly three months for the final gasket to arrive from the orignal diagnosis, but repair is complete and the cold noise rattle is gone! Hopefully its not peristent like some of the F150 EcoBoosts were.