Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Is The Cold Start Rattle Normal?

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
When starting the engine after it has been off for a couple hours I have a cold start rattle for 2-5 seconds. It goes away and there is no MIL or malfunction codes. It's not the exhaust. It's coming from the top of the motor. Do all 3.0 TT motors do this or do I have the cam phaser issue? I searched and found only one thread here. Other forums said it was normal for a Ford DOHC motor to make noise until oil pressure builds. This wasn't present on my 2017 or 2019 F150 3.5 TT.

OP
Stinger

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I saw that thread. Thanks for the reply.

I'm guessing that the rattle noise is NOT a normal occurrence in the ST. Looks like I'm going to have to return it to stock and take her in.

Reactions
Yeah it's a big job! Make sure you get them to give you a loaner it's going to take while mine was 3 weeks!

Reactions
All my rattles went away when my exhaust halfway fell off, and in turn Ford replaced almost the entire system from about the midmuffler-back.

Reactions
More than likely is the exhaust flex pipe, very simple fix.
There's a TSB for it, my Platinum does the same thing under cold starts. Check under the car upon cold start ups, if you see the driver's side flex pipe moving violently, then thats whats making that noise.

Sound goes away completely 5 sec's later or so.

Attachments

OP
Stinger

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Yeah it's a big job! Make sure you get them to give you a loaner it's going to take while mine was 3 weeks!
When you picked up the ST was everything fixed? Did you have any other issues that arose because of them pulling the motor?

OP
Stinger

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
There's a TSB for it, my Platinum does the same thing under cold starts. Check under the car upon cold start ups, if you see the driver's side flex pipe moving violently, then thats whats making that noise.

I wish that were the case. That would be too easy. The noise is coming from the top of the motor.

Reactions
When you picked up the ST was everything fixed? Did you have any other issues that arose because of them pulling the motor?
A Silicone boost hose became detached a couple days later because the clamp wasn't tight but it was a easy fix and didn't leave me stranded. I will say they had to do it TWICE because they picked the wrong phaser to change.

OP
Stinger

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Took the ST into the dealer today and after several hours they called back and said the “camshaft solenoids were bad”. They will be ordering the parts and fixing it under warranty. (y)

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I hope they take very good care of you.

Reactions

I have a rattle as well coming from the flex pipes. Having them replaced with much better Vibrant ones which are heavier meshing.
They`re approx 6`` wide and 2.25`` in diameter. The ones Ford puts on are really not very good.
Contemplated going with straight pipe to replace them but found out that is not a good idea due to engine movement and high risk of cracking something along the way.
Hope that helps someone who is tired of that raspy/fluttering noise.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
had the same noise and thought it sounded the same as the F150 cold start phaser rattle. Sure enough needs phasers, some parts are on back order. Dealer said they just got done replacing them on an Aviator too.

Last edited:
OP
Stinger

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Thread Starter #14
had the same noise and thought it sounded the same as the F150 cold start phaser rattle. Sure enough needs phasers, some parts are on back order. Dealer said they just got done replacing them on an Aviator too.
I reported my issue in July. All the parts arrived the last week of September. The oil pan gasket and another one held up the entire repair. It’s finally scheduled for repair on the 18th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ST+

Reactions
Thanks for the warning. So the pan had to be removed to access the phaser drive chain?
Not happy there is a plastic oil pan. If there ever is an aftermarket pan -- It'll be on mine.

Apparently the phasers have to be very bad to not be able to drive the SUV? 2 months for parts? ugggg ---- I know there are longer waits for parts but dayum.

GL on the 18th.

OP
Stinger

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Thread Starter #16
Thanks for the warning. So the pan had to be removed to access the phaser drive chain?
Not happy there is a plastic oil pan. If there ever is an aftermarket pan -- It'll be on mine.

Apparently the phasers have to be very bad to not be able to drive the SUV? 2 months for parts? ugggg ---- I know there are longer waits for parts but dayum.

GL on the 18th.
For accuracy sake the term my dealer used was “camshaft solenoids”. Not sure if that’s the same. I had a 3.5EB motor on my last 2 trucks and never had this annoying loud rattle on start… updates will follow.

PS. Oil change included. Ford spec oil. Will not do full synthetic as I requested since it’s a warranty repair. I offered to pay for the oil.

ST+

Reactions
For accuracy sake the term my dealer used was “camshaft solenoids”. Not sure if that’s the same. I had a 3.5EB motor on my last 2 trucks and never had this annoying loud rattle on start… updates will follow.

PS. Oil change included. Ford spec oil. Will not do full synthetic as I requested since it’s a warranty repair. I offered to pay for the oil.

seems there are "cam phasers" and the corresponding solenoids and apparently much the same as the 3.5's
Lately my phasers have quieted down -- have no idea why but will be chatting with my service tech about it soon.

Our 3.0 EB's call for synth. Had an '11 SHO which I used synth in but can't remember if it was called for or not. Pity they wouldn't let u pay the extra. Oh well free change anyway. One won't hurt.

I found this helpful:

Last edited:
OP
Stinger

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Thread Starter #18
seems there are "cam phasers" and the corresponding solenoids and apparently much the same as the 3.5's
Lately my phasers have quieted down -- have no idea why but will be chatting with my service tech about it soon.

Our 3.0 EB's call for synth. Had an '11 SHO which I used synth in but can't remember if it was called for or not. Pity they wouldn't let u pay the extra. Oh well free change anyway. One won't hurt.

I found this helpful:
Some of the f150 truck guys are using oil additives to quiet the rattle down and keep the thickened oil up top.

My dealer stated the synthetic blend is the factory oil. I’m not an oil expert but full synthetic seems to be a good choice for a high performance FI motor. Most of the racing teams I like are using Motul full synthetic.

Agreed. One wont hurt. It’s been changed twice in 10k miles. So 3 in 12k is fine with me. I was a quart low when my shop put the exhaust on. I could smell it burning. Time to get this warranty repair done.

Reactions
I got a whole new engine out of my phasers going bad. They went at 9500mi. Ford wanted the engine back to "diagnose" it.

ST+

Reactions
I got a whole new engine out of my phasers going bad. They went at 9500mi. Ford wanted the engine back to "diagnose" it.
Good info and tnx Lightning Struck. So the phasers went quite bad and were noisy were they? Could the engine be fixed or did the phasers ruin it?