Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Is anyone running oil other than 5-30?

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
I know a lot of the LR guys run 5-40 in warmer climates instead of 5-30.
Camaro says 5-30, usually gets 10-30
SB Honda says 5-20 but is MUCH smoother running on 10-30 & may actually have 10-40 in it right now. (almost 200K miles)

Location is Mojave Desert so it's HOT.

Last edited:
OP
ZRX61

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #2
I'll take that as a "nope" ;)

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Ford recommends a certain grade of oil. Not sure if you want to be changing things up especially with a turbocharged engine, most likely under warranty.
Could your dealer in your area not give some good advice given the high temps and the effects on engines? I am sure they have seen it all.

OP
ZRX61

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Ford recommends a certain grade of oil. Not sure if you want to be changing things up especially with a turbocharged engine, most likely under warranty.
Could your dealer in your area not give some good advice given the high temps and the effects on engines? I am sure they have seen it all.
I wouldn't trust any of the Ford dealers with 100 miles of here to correctly tell me what time it is.

kldymond81

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I wouldn't